Engine Egr Delete Help!!!

blaketurner92

Nov 13, 2016
I have a 91 mustang with a 347 stroker motor. I have the motor in the car and runs. The problem im having is Most of My egr/ smog has been deleted before i got the car and now I'm trying to figure out what's going on with all of it. I live in a non emissions county and don't care to have it nor do I plan on ever selling my car so I'm not worried about the emissions stuff.
If anybody that knows more about this stuff than I do could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a good reputable shop to have my car tuned/ finished up..

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I am about to tell you some things that you don't want to hear. Before you discount what I have to say, simply Google jrichker - be sure to spell in correctly.

Removing the pollution control equipment from a 5.0 Mustang is a bad idea. All you have accomplished is to make the computer mad and spit codes. The pollution control equipment all shuts off at wide open throttle, so the HP losses from it on the car are 2-5 HP. The catalytic converters may soak a few more HP than that. None of the pollution control equipment reduces the HP enough to cost you a race in anything but professional drag strip competition. I seriously doubt that you will be in the final runoff on “Pinks”, so leave the smog equipment in place and make sure it is working correctly.

Know what does what before removing it. Remove or disable the wrong thing and the computer sets the check engine light and runs in "limp mode". Limp mode means reduced power and fuel economy.

If you removed the smog pump and still have catalytic converters, they will ultimately clog and fail.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by James Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20-$45 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select books and then select search. Use the ISBN number (without dashes or spaces) to do a search

Use the ISBN number and your local library can get you a loaner copy for free. Only thing is you are limited to keeping the book for two weeks. It is very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

Remove any of the equipment and you will not pass a full smog check, cannot title the car in an area that does smog checks and have broken several federal laws. Granted that the Feds are short on people to check cars, but it is still Federal law.

"Why should I leave the smog equipment on if I live in an area that doesn't do smog inspections?"
What's good sauce for the goose is good sauce for the gander. I lived in Florida and had two smog pumps fail on two different 89 5.0 Mustangs. I replaced both of them, even though there was no emissions inspection. Why?

1.) It a federal law that requires emissions equipment to be in place and functional. I have no intention of breaking a law designed to protect my general health and wellbeing, even if I don't like it. I have respect for the rights and wellbeing of other people, and am not one of those whose nature is rebellion.

2.) Whatever imaginary "improvements" someone may strive for, there is very little evidence that the results of removing emissions results in a better car. I can achieve excellent results in performance with all the smog equipment in place and working properly. Maybe you can't, but that is no excuse for removing the emissions equipment. Look at the new 5.0 Mustangs – 281 cubic inches and 400+ flywheel HP with full emissions equipment with no aftermarket parts. That tells me that it is possible on a mass production car. It also shows that the guys that designed the engine knew what they were doing to achieve that goal.

3.) I like to breathe clean air, and working emissions equipment helps me do my part to make that possible. Los Angeles has breathable air even with millions of cars: Beijing, the capitol of China has some of the worst air in the world. Why – no emissions requirements for cars.

I don’t want to live where the air looks like this…
360_chinapollution_0304.jpg

See http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2014/01/15/2003581312

Other than that. you have 2 choices:

1.) Unplug the EGR wiring connector; that will turn on the Check Engine light and make the engine run in Safe Mode. Then get a custom dyno tune that eliminates the EGR from the computer's internal program.
There are no gimmicks or gadgets that can be added on that don't mess up the data from the EGR sensor that the computer's program depends on. That includes the resistor gimmicks that take the place of the EGR sensor. The resistor fools the computer into thinking that the EGR is still there. The computer's response is to lean out the fuel mixture and advance the ignition timing. The combination of those 2 strategies can cause ping or even detonation and engine damage. With the typical aftermarket exhaust at highway cruse speeds, you may not hear the pinging or detonation until after the damage is already done.

2.) Put ALL of the EGR equipment back on and make it functional. That way you will avoid any strange combinations of problems that can make the engine run lean and ping or detonate.
Some basic theory to clarify how things work is in order…

EGR System theory and testing

Revised 29-Sep-2013 to add code definitions for EGR sensor and EVR regulator.

The EGR shuts off at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), so it has minimal effect on performance. The addition of exhaust gas drops combustion temperature, increases gas mileage and reduces the tendency of the engine to ping. It can also reduce HC emissions by reducing fuel consumption. The primary result of EGR usage is a reduction in NOx emissions. It does this by reducing the amount of air/fuel mixture that gets burned in the combustion process. Less air from the intake system means less air to mx with the fuel, so the computer leans out the fuel delivery calculations to balance things out. This reduces combustion temperature, and the creation of NOx gases. The reduced combustion temp reduces the tendency to ping.

The computer shuts down the EGR system when it detects WOT (Wide Open Throttle), so the effect on full throttle performance is too small to have any measurable negative effects.

The EGR system has a vacuum source (line from the intake manifold) that goes to the EVR, computer operated electronic vacuum regulator. The EVR is located on the back of the passenger side shock strut tower. The computer uses RPM, Load. and some other factors to tell the EVR to pass vacuum to open the EGR valve. The EGR valve and the passages in the heads and intake manifold route exhaust gas to the EGR spacer (throttle body spacer). The EGR sensor tells the computer how far the EGR valve is open. Then computer adjusts the signal sent to the EVR to hold, increase or decrease the vacuum. The computer adds spark advance to compensate for the recirculated gases and the slower rate they burn at.

The resistor packs used to fool the computer into turning off the CEL (Check Engine Light) off are a bad idea. All they really do is mess up the data the computer uses to calculate the correct air/fuel mixture. You can easily create problems that are difficult to pin down and fix.

egr-system-legal-size-paper-55-gif.51276

Troubleshooting:
There should be no vacuum at the EGR valve when at idle. If there is, the EVR (electronic vacuum regulator) mounted on the backside of the passenger side wheelwell is suspect. Check the vacuum line plumbing to make sure the previous owner didn’t cross the vacuum lines.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds. (the diagram says 88 GT, but the EGR part is the same for 86-93 Mustangs)
88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif

The EGR sensor is basically a variable resistor, like the volume control on a radio. One end is 5 volt VREF power from the computer (red/orange wire). One end is computer signal ground (black/white), and the middle wire (brown/lt green) is the signal output from the EGR sensor. It is designed to always have some small voltage output from it anytime the ignition switch is the Run position. That way the computer knows the sensor & the wiring is OK. No voltage on computer pin 27 (brown/lt green wire) and the computer thinks the sensor is bad or the wire is broken and sets code 31. The voltage output can range from approximately .6-.85 volt. A defective or missing sensor will set codes 31 (EVP circuit below minimum voltage) or 32 ( EGR voltage below closed limit).

The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum. The solenoid coil should measure 20-70 Ohms resistance. The regulator has a vacuum feed on the bottom which draws from the intake manifold. The other vacuum line is regulated vacuum going to the EGR valve. One side of the EVR electrical circuit is +12 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side of the electrical circuit is the ground path and is controlled by the computer. The computer switches the ground on and off to control the regulator solenoid. A defective EVR will set codes 33 (insufficient flow detected), 84 (EGR Vacuum Regulator failure – Broken vacuum lines, no +12 volts, regulator coil open circuit, missing EGR vacuum regulator.)

EGR test procedure courtesy of cjones

To check the EGR valve:
Bring the engine to normal temp.

Connect a vacuum pump to the EGR Valve or see the EGR test jig drawing below. Connnect the test jig or to directly to manifold vacuum.

Do not connect the EGR test jig to the EVR (Electronic Vacuum Regulator).

Apply 5in vacuum to the valve. Using the test jig, use your finger to vary the vacuum

If the engine stumbled or died then EGR Valve and passage(there is a passageway through the heads and intake) are good.

If the engine did NOT stumble or die then either the EGR Valve is bad and/or the passage is blocked.

If the engine stumbled, connect EGR test jig to the hose coming off of the EGR Valve.
Use your finger to cap the open port on the vacuum tee.
Snap throttle to 2500 RPM (remember snap the throttle don't hold it there).
Did the vacuum gauge show about 2-5 in vacuum?
If not the EVR has failed

EGR test jig
egr-test-jig-gif.58022

To test the computer and wiring to the computer, you can use a test light across the EVR wiring connectors and dump the codes. When you dump the codes, the computer does a self test that toggles every relay/actuator/solenoid on and off. When this happens, the test light will flicker. If the test light remains on the computer or the wiring is suspect.

To check the EVR to computer wiring, disconnect the EVR connector and connect one end of the Ohmmeter to the dark green wire EVR wiring. Remove the passenger side kick panel and use a 10 MM socket to remove the computer connector from the computer. Set the Ohmmeter to high range and connect the other ohmmeter lead to ground. You should see an infinite open circuit indication or a reading greater than 1 Meg Ohm. If you see less than 200 Ohms, the dark green wire has shorted to ground somewhere.

Last edited:
If you go and get a tune, they can turn the EGR function off. Then you don't need to worry about it.

In fact, if you just simply unplug the EGR sensor, the ecu turns off the function. The downside is the check engine light is always on.

SO, we really need to know what the total combo is, and what has been removed? A lot of the stuff can be removed with no ill effects, and other times it's better to let something stay.

Have you run the check engine codes first to see what the ecu doesn't like so you can start to address these items?

If you go and get a tune, they can turn the EGR function off. Then you don't need to worry about it.

In fact, if you just simply unplug the EGR sensor, the ecu turns off the function. The downside is the check engine light is always on.

SO, we really need to know what the total combo is, and what has been removed? A lot of the stuff can be removed with no ill effects, and other times it's better to let something stay.

Have you run the check engine codes first to see what the ecu doesn't like so you can start to address these items?

The smog pump and all the stuff with it was deleted, the ports on the heads were plugged, catalytic converters gone, the egr valve on the spacer was deleted and a delete plate was added, the brass fittings were also shaved off the spacer. With everything else deleted can I delete the egr spacer altogether and run the delete spacer Or will that be hurting more than helping? Is the egr spacer even doing anything with everything else gone? I plan on having it tuned And having all the egr turned off pretty soon just haven't found where I'm taking it yet.

The smog pump and all the stuff with it was deleted, the ports on the heads were plugged, catalytic converters gone, the egr valve on the spacer was deleted and a delete plate was added, the brass fittings were also shaved off the spacer. With everything else deleted can I delete the egr spacer altogether and run the delete spacer Or will that be hurting more than helping? Is the egr spacer even doing anything with everything else gone? I plan on having it tuned And having all the egr turned off pretty soon just haven't found where I'm taking it yet.

What intake manifold is on the car?

If you yank the lower off, and block the EGR port off at the heads, then you can remove the entire EGR spacer. For now, just leave the EGR plug unplugged.

Most of the stuff you mentioned does not affect how the car runs. The EGR will, but with it unplugged, a code 31/33 is generated and the function is off, so this shouldn't affect how the car runs. When you get your tune, these can all be turned off.

Have you run codes to see what the ecu isn't liking? Does the car run poorly?

What intake manifold is on the car?

If you yank the lower off, and block the EGR port off at the heads, then you can remove the entire EGR spacer. For now, just leave the EGR plug unplugged.

Most of the stuff you mentioned does not affect how the car runs. The EGR will, but with it unplugged, a code 31/33 is generated and the function is off, so this shouldn't affect how the car runs. When you get your tune, these can all be turned off.

Have you run codes to see what the ecu isn't liking? Does the car run poorly?

It has edelbrock performer aluminum heads with the professional products typhoon Intake. What will I be gaining/ losing by blocking the heads and deleting the egr spacer? Or is it just as good to just leave the egr spacer ports shaved and unplugged? Mainly im just trying to get everything figured out and fixed up with the egr stuff so I can clean up under the hood Delete what's not needed and buy a new throttle body ect...

I haven't ran any codes from the computer yet. The car is running a little poor but it also hasn't had all the bugs worked out from the engine build. Just trying to get this part figured out so I can move on to other issues

Well, if your EGR is disabled, then what you gain by blocking the ports at the heads is the hot EGR gases aren't inside the intake manifold. So the intake stays cooler.

However, some aftermarket manifolds do not have EGR passages at all. Unsure if that manifold does. I would look into this, but not absolutely necessary given the amount of work to get it done. However, if you do want to delete the spacer, you will need to pull the lower manifold and block the port. I've seen people take a razor blade, take off the thick edge, and RTV it to the port on the head, before laying the manifold down. There are also intake gasktets that block it off.

For example,

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/50265-cust.pdf

Scroll to step 27. You can see the two EGR ports in the center of both heads. On the intake manifold, one of these ports leads up into the upper plenum and the spacer. The gasket kit has an EGR block off, that you would put over this port to block flow completely. If you plan on removing the spacer, I'd use some thin metal, vs the gasket material

No EGR ca result in some cold weather startups and running. Have to say in 25+ years of owning fox bodies in South Florida, I haven't had one issue after removing the EGR. For some cars, I;ve simply unplugged the EGR connector, used a $10 resistor off Ebay and blocked off the EGR plate and tubes. Others I've removed the EGR plate between the TB and inake . On my current car, the heads have teh EGR ports blocked. If I put a tune on a car, I simply take that into effect and never had a CEL or hickup. If I lived up north I'd probably leave it on though.

Well, if your EGR is disabled, then what you gain by blocking the ports at the heads is the hot EGR gases aren't inside the intake manifold. So the intake stays cooler.

However, some aftermarket manifolds do not have EGR passages at all. Unsure if that manifold does. I would look into this, but not absolutely necessary given the amount of work to get it done. However, if you do want to delete the spacer, you will need to pull the lower manifold and block the port. I've seen people take a razor blade, take off the thick edge, and RTV it to the port on the head, before laying the manifold down. There are also intake gasktets that block it off.

For example,

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/50265-cust.pdf

Scroll to step 27. You can see the two EGR ports in the center of both heads. On the intake manifold, one of these ports leads up into the upper plenum and the spacer. The gasket kit has an EGR block off, that you would put over this port to block flow completely. If you plan on removing the spacer, I'd use some thin metal, vs the gasket material

Actually the purpose of the egr is to introduce burned gases into the combustion chamber, gases that just take up space and reduce the combustion explosion thus reducing combustion temperatures which in turn reduces the Nox gases which are only produced in higher temps. So the egr does affect performance by reducing the power during the power stroke, fuel mileage is increased because not as much fuel is let into the combustion chamber.

Actually the purpose of the egr is to introduce burned gases into the combustion chamber, gases that just take up space and reduce the combustion explosion thus reducing combustion temperatures which in turn reduces the Nox gases which are only produced in higher temps. So the egr does affect performance by reducing the power during the power stroke, fuel mileage is increased because not as much fuel is let into the combustion chamber.

Yes, I know that, but with the OP's deleted EGR system on his modified engine, the gases stagnant and warming up the intake certainly aren't helping.

Highly doubt he cares about fuel economy at this point.