EGR simulator

• Sponsors (?)

I had something like that except it wasnt in a plastic housing.It will shut off your check engine light,works good.I went and had a chip burned which took care of that with a few other things.I paid I think 8 bucks for the one I had.

z9_87 said:
Thank you tmoss that was exactly what I was looking for. I thought it was just some resistors, just didn't know how i would go about doing it myself.

Sounds like your gonna build your own. I am using one of the ebay parts. Works great. I had found similar diagrams but decided to go with the easy option. Electricity still seems kinda majical to me.
Good Luck

Insane3D said:
What are the pro's and cons of ditching EGR on a daily driver? I've heard gas mileage suffers? Any other problems?
I'll take a stab at this.

i see no cons, unless you have a show car and like it clean under the hood (aesthetics).

the EGR only works at part throttle, so WOT performance is not affected. it sends spent gasses into the chambers, which cools the chambers. at the same time, injector pulsewidth is dialed back and a ton of timing is dialed-in (economy increase).

the main issue i see is letting the puter know you delted the EGR. some folks see part throttle detonation if they dont tune the car (chip, TwEECer, etc) after deleting the EGR. the EGR dilutes the mixture (inert gasses), which is why less fuel and more timing can be introduced (the diluted mixture is less volatile). now if those inert gasses are removed (EGR deletion), but the puter does not know, it will continue to dial back pulsewidth and add timing. hence detonation in cruise (EGR active) conditions.

some folks delete it and dont notice detonation, some do. just something to be aware of if you do get some.

Insane3D said:
What are the pro's and cons of ditching EGR on a daily driver? I've heard gas mileage suffers? Any other problems?

Fuel economy will suffer. How much I couldn't say. There will be no benefit to hp or torque by removing the EGR. The only reason I can see for removing EGR is to "clean" the engine bay. I had removed mine when I built the stroker motor because it would not clear with the shortened intake. I will be doing whatever it takes to get it back in now that I fully understand how EGR works. Try to look up the thread titled Confused on EGR.

Yes the detonation is a big problem at lower rpm's with the egr removed, that's why I wanted to do this. It tells the computer the egr is closed all the time so it doesn't advance timing. I removed mine because it doens't fit on my new intake. I'm not going to get spend $100 to keep that thing on there and then have to modify my headers some more. $3 in resistors and it was gone.