el cheapo H/C/I setup.

pistonhead351

flim hunter
May 1, 2005
well im looking for more power but im on a budget and i just want to see what you guys think of the setup im gonna be doing.

Heads: rebuilt and fully machined and assembled GT-40p's with 1.94 intake valves and 1.54 exhaust valves. bowls are blended and there will be mild port work done to them.
Intake: its just a trick flow street heat intake, 65mm throttle body and spacer a cai. also going with a 76mm mass air and 24 pound injectors. i already have all of this stuff.
Cam: is a comp cams grind number #35-324-8 heres the link http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=35-324-8
it looks like a decent cam for my mods, or would i be better with like a xe270 or other cam. the cam is the part im most puzzled about. also should i just look for some gt-40's and save the trouble of buying headers. will the p's add that much more power? thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The GT40P's are a real nice budget street head. I think they flow a little better then the stock GT40's and stock E7's. I've read some articles where they can add 30 or so HP. If you already have the GT40P's, the headers are like $200 or more. Assuming you have around $800 in the heads and headers together, you could probably get a used set of aluminum heads that flow better then the GT40P's for $800 and use the headers you already have. It really depends on your future plans for the motor and how fast you want to go. If it's mostly used as a daily driver, I'd stay with the GT40P plan. If it's a weekend cruiser and will see more 1/4 mile action, and you plan on more mods later, I'd go with aluminum.

its a 302 bluecobra, well the heads are fully assembled and brand new for 500 bucks, with minor port work done. then im just gonna sell my headers and get some p one's. and yeah its a daily driver to.

if you are running stock pistons , that cam is going to be a tight fit and a bit too much lift in my opinion for the heads you are running , I think a trickflow stage 1 cam will give you better results .......

personally.. this cam from crane is the dawg to get.. crane #444221 2021 cam .533/.540 270*/280* duration.. its exactly like the cam 5.0 mustang swaped out in a 91 GT AOD and picked up 30 horse.. and its not that big.. i have ported E7's and it works PERFECT together.. 270hp anyone? :D

i think that cam has a lil to much lift for some mild gt-40p's. especially since they dont gain much more cfm over .500 lift, or thats what ive read. im sure someone will chime in hear. does the 2021 cam have a pretty nasty idle?

i have the 2031 grind w/my p's and it makes a ton of tq and has a solid idle

camcard.jpg