Eleanor Carnage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emay

Oct 4, 2006
South Elgin, IL
Well, I took on my brothers cobra on the way to a local cruise spot and polished off the transmission tail shaft something fierce. Went 5th to 3rd at about 80 mph in an attempt to get the jump on him, considering his power level I know I was going to need the advantage. I got out front and held him off only to see a ton of white smoke on the slow down from 140+.

Tail shaft is completely cracked nearly all the way around the circumference. You play, you pay as I always say..

Here's some shots of what I found in disassembly, hope to be back on the road by Tuesday if the parts are available, gonna see if a friend of mine has the ability to do a warranty ticket for the part and me do the work. Not likely to fly, but worth a shot - part is 420.00 on average:

Thank god no damage internally:
View attachment 318211

The crack-
View attachment 318212

more:
View attachment 318213

more:
View attachment 318214

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah Glenn as we just talked about on the phone, I limped it home.. Car can't go on a flatbed so I really had no choice. Was a nghtmare to get her in the trailer for world of wheels.

Should be a painless repair, just need the parts, and hope to get them under warranty. Brian's making those calls today.

And that is no laughing matter. People die because of stuff like this. This website doesn't encourage street racing. No one should.
You can make fun of me if you want, but street racing is just plain stupid.

Dang that sucks. Every time I go to the track, I know I'm risking breaking something. I just keep in mind that I will then have an excuse to replace it with something better.

Unfortunately, due to the street racing element, this thread must be closed. As suggested above, because of the danger and illegality of racing on a public road, street racing talk, stories, are not allowed. If you guys wanna edit your posts and remove the street racing talk, we'll open it back up. Sorry guys.

And that is no laughing matter. People die because of stuff like this. This website doesn't encourage street racing. No one should.
You can make fun of me if you want, but street racing is just plain stupid.

Topic is carnage to parts, your focusing elsewhere. 5th to 3rd drops happen frequently racing or not. There are not shots of a street race occurring, there are shots of broken parts. Myself the poster, merely mentioned circumstances that lead to failure of said parts and that was said without the words "street racing" inclusive of that.

Now, for the good news, Ford is honoring the warranty on the tail shaft case. Have to wait until tomorrow for the specifics as to if the replacment unit includes seals and bearings since the service department was closed when I met the Ford Rep this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.