Electric fan controler temp settings

795.0pacecar

lover of pudgy polygamists
Jul 11, 2003
Senoia, GA
I just installed a taurus SHO fan on my car and a SPAL fan controller. The fan controller starts out at 50% power then moves up to 100% after it reaches the temp you program it to come on at. I was wondering at what temp should have the fan come on (low power) then at what temp should high power be set to come on? I have a stock 193 thermostate. Right now I have it set to come on at 180 and for high power to come on at 210. It doesn't seem right though.

Um, generally one does not want the fan controller to have the fan come on below the t-stat rating. Once the car is up to temp, the fan would never really shut off.

If running a 195/197 stat (193 is new to me), I guess I would have the low speed come on at ~210 and off at 202-ish. Have high speed come on at 220 or so.

This is where a 180 stat would really help with setting the fan up so you dont need to get so hot. A mech fan is always working, so you dont need that bufferzone with the fan temps vs the stat rating.

If it helps just for comparison, the 94-95 low speed fan comes on at 208*F, off at 200*F. High speed doesnt come on till 226. Now this is stupid, but gives an idea of a stock threshold (where emissions was a concern more than what is best for the motor).

A 180 stat would allow low speed to be ~195/187 (on/off, respectively) and you could set high speed whereever you want above that (on at 205-208, etc).

I have not used either of those products, so take this as my crude, general two cents.

Good luck.

I said 193 for the t-stat because thats what is stamped on it and was stamped on the stock one I took out a long time ago. I had a 180 but it took a crap after my head swap so I got a new one from the parts store but they gave me the wrong one. I used it anyway because it was late. I woulld realy hate to pull the thermostate housing off again because it realy sucks to change thermostates in these cars. BTW thanks for the imput!

bcd said:
if you set it too low the fan will come on sittin in the sun in the summer

It shouldn't, my fan uses the temp gauge sending unit not a radiator probe. It would take an aweful lot of sittin in the sun to warm that engine up to 180+ degrees, plus the fan doesn't run with the car off.

I saw a 193 once also... I have a 195 in mine lol. Have your fan turn on at 210 and off at 195. If you change thermostate, just change the SPAL settings again. I'm hoping to install a 185 in mine and set the fan to turn on at 205 and off at 185 or something like that.