Electric Fan problem after one month HELP!!!!

btsclan

Feb 22, 2004
Seattle, WA
About a month ago I installed a 3G alternator and an electric fan out of a Taurus. Well within the last week, my volt gauge is getting lower and lower. When I first installed the set up, and when I would be idling with the fan on and my head lights on the volts would be pretty high, around 13 or 14 volts. Now when I idle with the fan on and headlights the volt gauge reads closer to 12 and 12.5. My battery is under a year old and it tests just fine. Also I did a complete install of the new alternator with the 150 amp fuse, 4 gauge wire to starter solenoid and a 4 gauge ground wire.

Whats going on with my car?? I dont understand, the only thing I can think of is when I installed the alternator with the new 4 gauge wire I didnt solder the connectors on the end of the wire, I only crimped them on. Has anyone had this problem? Its driving me crazy seeing my volt gauge drop lower then it did before I put the new 130 amp 3G in there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Another vote for getting the system dynamically tested or the alt bench tested. You might have dropped a diode.

If you feel like it, check that the voltage at the charge stud is close to the same as that at teh battery. And that the sense circuit is very close to the charge stud voltage.

Disconnect the stator wire and the regulator plug. Check resistance in the stator circuit. It should be under 1 ohm as I recall.

Also look for signs of overheating at the charge cable connections. Bad connections create heat, which creates resistance, which creates heat. This snowballs recursively.

Good luck.