Engine Electric Fan Swap Questions

I have a 89 5.0L 5-Speed and I want to add an electric fan. I already have a 160Amp 3g Alternator. I was wondering on recommendations for how large of a fan I should look for? Also I think I want a adjustable thermostat relay, is that a good idea? If not, what temperature should I get (relay)? Do you guys have any recommendations on fans in general? Should I get two small ones or one large one? What else should I know?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Taurus/Contour/Mark VII are all popular swaps. You can even work it to fit inside your stock shroud.

Many recommend using a variable speed controller, like the Flex-a-lite 31165. This decreases the in-rush amp draw that some of these high speed/high CFM fans can pull on startup.

I picked up a fan from a 2002 Mercury Villager and it fit perfectly inside a stock shroud. I'll be using the above mentioned Flex-a-lite variable speed controller as well.

You might want to note where you live (what ambient temps the car is driven in) and what mods the car has. That can change the recommendations.

Good luck.

I like the derale twin fans, 4000 cfm. we can run on a 95 degree day and keep the car 165* only draw back is it pulls almost 50 amps but it sounds like you have a big enough alternator.

I went with the ProForm from LMR. The fan has been great so far, and I know of a friend who runs this on a 347 with no issues. Been good for him for over a year now. Cheaper kit, keeps the engine where its suppose to be, and comes with everything you need. Pretty simple install too. Wiring can be a bit confusing, but a little research anything can be done, even if you have little knowledge of how to do it.

You can't go wrong with either a MkVII or contour fans. I think they both pull well over 3000cfm. I've had a MKVII on my supercharged 87 and it worked great. IMO, don't bother with the lower model black magic fan. It won't keep a stocker cool.

For a controller, you want one that ramps up so it doesn't put so much of a load on the electrical system. I used to use one about 10 years ago from a guy that is no longer in business. The two best on the market today imo are either the DCC unit of the flex a light vsc. ( can't remember the pn right now) They are both about $100. Keep in mind if you want the DCC unit, be prepared to wait several weeks.

I found a contour fan from a 90's car - think 3.0 motor?- at the upull for like $20 and will but the FAL VSC to hook it up.

You are going to want something that pulls a real 2500+ CFM. That's why we recommend the tried and true fans. The OEM stuff is very hard to beat, as it's made to function for 70K+ miles (through a warranty period).

Since you're talking about the Taurus fan, for clarity, the ones generally referenced are from the 3.8L engines.