Electrical Electric Fan Wiring Question

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
Hey guys,
I bought an electric fan kit from latemodelresto and it is missing the inline fuse holder.
I want to install the fan tomorrow so I went to the local parts store and got one.
Here's my question to you power gurus. I have a 10 gauge power wire and a 40 amp fuse but the only fuse holder I could find is rated for 30 amp and has 12 gauge leads. If I wire this in will I fry something?
I don't know crap about power so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Find a properly sized mega-fuse holder at a NAPA or maybe a local marine supply place.
Very good advice.
I have seen a number of cases where the 30 amp blade type fuse holders overheat, corrode and cause a high resistance circuit. Simple translation - they don't work good and as they overheat, the fan slows down and your engine overheats. Eventually they overheat and corrode so badly that the plastic around the fuse contacts carbonizes and breaks apart.

Reactions: 1 user
I decided to just wait and let latemodelresto send me the missing inline fuse holder.
If something were to go wrong at might void some sort of warranty if I substitute a part. Besides, I paid $350 for the fan kit and I shouldn't have to go by more parts to make it work. Thanks for talking some sense into me.:)