• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Electrical - A/C Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter jwilliams66
  • Start date Start date Jul 14, 2008
J

jwilliams66

New Member
Sep 23, 2006
2
0
0
Jul 14, 2008
#1
  • Jul 14, 2008
  • #1
Well here is the problem, I have a '66 Coupe with a late model 302 with a carburetor, C4 transmission, and now A/C. I put the 302 in about 2 years ago and never had one problem. Once I added the A/C kit, the problems started. When the weather out here in Phoenix was cool, you could drive around with the air on, and no problems. Once the outside temperature got above the 100 range and you have the air on, the car will just die. It will run till the engine gets to about 210 degrees and then just shut off. Wait a few minutes and it starts right back up, just keep the A/C off and it works fine. Also when it dies, I lose all of my electronics, after a few minutes, they start to work again. Any thoughts?
 
M

mustangman1974

Member
Jan 17, 2004
463
0
16
Jul 14, 2008
#2
  • Jul 14, 2008
  • #2
same here on mine. From what I figured out its vapor locking, at least on mine. I even have a pusher fan to help cooling, so I can get to about 220 before the car cuts out. From my observation its vapor-locking.
 
J

jwilliams66

New Member
Sep 23, 2006
2
0
0
Jul 14, 2008
#3
  • Jul 14, 2008
  • #3
Thats what I thought too. So I installed a new electric fuel pump and brand new 3/8 fuel line. I also have a pusher fan in the front and installed a fan shroud. I wanted to add a carb spacer as well, but didn't have the under hood clearance. It wasn't until it died one day and I heard the pusher fan go out and then come back on that it made think it was electrical. Very frustrating!!
 
M

mustangman1974

Member
Jan 17, 2004
463
0
16
Jul 14, 2008
#4
  • Jul 14, 2008
  • #4
hmmm. Check your ignition switch. If your electrical fan is connected through the switch that could be the problem. I couldn't tell you but if you find out post what you found because I have been dealing with the same issue for about 4 months. Have you checked your grounding wire? I have been thinking of adding another one. Mine currently goes from the battery to the block. Then in the back on the head to the fire wall. I was thinking of adding one from the same bolt on the block to the frame.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
257
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
7
Engine Random hanging idle
  • 706 Saleen
  • Feb 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
742
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Feb 19, 2026
86HO5.0
8
F
2004 Mustang GT – Fuel Pump Not Priming
  • Fayio
  • Apr 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
438
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 27, 2026
n0v8or
N
S
Need help asap
  • shaggyman65
  • Dec 24, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
291
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Dec 24, 2025
shaggyman65
S
Hard to start when engine is cold
  • 86_Capri
  • Mar 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?