xsimonas

Aug 4, 2019
Lithuania
Hey there, i need Help.
I got an 69’ Mustang with AOD trans. But now i wanted to start the car, but just connect battery cable with battery and then it starts. The ignnition switch - off position.
If i wana shut down the car i must disconnect battery cable. I changed solenoid, new ignition switch and front wiring and have the same problem. Is there any wrong wiring or something? May can be this problem with AOD Trans neutral switch wiring, or voltage regulator?
Kind regards

• Sponsors (?)

Does the starter stay spinning when you hook battery up? Does engine fire also? Pull coil wire when testing.
Sounds like wiring is wrong between or with the ignition switch and or solenoid

I read something about the hokey ignition switch on the 67 with the accessory post. Although you have a 69 you may want to see if someone used an easier ignition switch with your car. I bet if you had a 67 and the post was accidentally connected to the starter circuit as soon as you turned on the ignition (not to the start position) the starter would fire.

93115790.jpg

67 ignition switch

93115874.jpg

69 ignition switch

This may also give you a clue where to look. If you have the 69 ignition while it may be protected better than the 67, if the starter circuit is touching the accessory circuit somewhere you may have the same effect.

See sections 07-09 at the below link.

Classic Mustang Electrical Tips and Tricks

Last edited:
I do not have knowledge on older mustangs ignitions. What starter does the engine have installed? I ran into some confusion with my first encounter with the mini torque starters. They have a constant heavy gage wire going to the starter with the solenoid on the starter itself. Older regular style starters have firewall mounted solenoid with a switched power feed going to the starter......I bought a Mustang 2 several years ago. It had a mini torque starter someone tried to wire up like a traditional starter. It ate starters until I figured out what the previous owner tried to install.