Embarrassing question from a novice

I don't normally do any car maintenance myself, but I would like to do as much as I can on my new Mustang.

I saw in the manual it states to jack the car up using the jack notch next to the tire. When using jack stands, is it ok then to place the jack stand next to the jack notch since the jack is in the jack notch? Or do you jack the car up next to the jack notch, and then place the jack stand in the jack notch. Or am I splitting hairs.

Or is there a better place to place the jack stands.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

It depends what you're doing. You can put the jack stands in those notches, or under the axle housing. You can also jack the rear end up by the "pumpkin" as long as you are careful about the placement. The stock differential cover is thin, and if you catch the jack on it, you are likely to have fluids all over the floor. That said, I use the pumpkin 9 times out of 10.

jacking up the car is actually my most dreaded part of any work I do on my cars, so dont feel like its stupid question at all. I have yet to find a place to put the jack or the jackstands that I am 100% comfortable with. I so far have been doing like everyone else has stated. I am not going to be happy until I get a lift for my garage, which should be in about 30 years, 20 with good luck.

Use the frame supports with a floor jack on the front side of both doors. You can't miss it. Place your jackstands according to what you will be working on. Hopefully you know to put them on something that won't break :D
Yep, for an oil change, just lift the front. Our drain plug is at the back of the oil pan. Here's a diagram of jack points. Enjoy.
05_lift_points.gif

While doing any front related work, I use the frame rails (third arrow from the top) to place the jack stands.
05_lift_points.gif

That is where I had them for the LT install and it was up in the air for over 9 hours and the car never budged. Of course we used ones that were rated at 6000 lbs/each!
3391467304_3fbd39401a_b.jpg

3391474642_05b35f0e9e_b.jpg

For minor work, such as oil changes, I made a set of ramps. It puts the front end up 7.5".
3366321093_16e28e2507.jpg

I had to add a scrap piece of wood near the top as the GT500 front wouldn't clear my double stop block as my GT w/ CDC Classic Chin Spoiler would.
3366321227_d3b1cdb423.jpg

3367145646_23d92328d9.jpg

3367145524_e389a32840.jpg

+1 on the ramps if the car is not lowered those big black plastic ramps from wally world I had worked great! just drive up there and change the oil that simple.

EDIT: Now that my car is lowered I'm probably going to jack up the car and slide the ramps under the wheel. It'll take me 5 minutes longer but at least it'll still be safe and comfortable working under there.