Emissions Question - Are Cobra tank and/or Cobra fuel pumps 50-state legal?

Ghost001

Dec 9, 2002
California
Hello,

If I get a 50-state legal supercharger kit, such as the Kenne Bell 1.7L or the Saleen Series V, and then add an 03 Cobra gas tank and/or 03 Cobra fuel pumps, would it still be 50-state legal, as long as it passes the sniffer?

In other words, do the emissions inspectors visually check the fuel pump or gas tank?

Also, by the way, can I switch to bigger fuel injectors, and still be 50-state legal, as long as it passes the sniffer? (EDIT: What I mean is, can I remove the fuel injectors that come with the KB kit or Saleen kit, and replace them with even larger injectors. I know that injectors are fine as long as they are part of a kit, but what if I replace the kit injectors with even larger injectors?)

Also, what about an auxiliary tranny cooler? Is that 50-state legal? (This seems like a dumb question, but it wouldn't surprise me if the answer was "no".)

• Sponsors (?)

johnnyvista said:
larger injectors should be legal. the procharger psc-1 is 50-state legal and requires 42lb injectors.

What I meant was, if I bought the procharger kit with the 42lb injectors, and then replaced those with 50lb injectors, would that be 50-state legal.

I see that I wasn't clear, so I edited my original post.

CaliLifeStyle said:
Is there even a difference between the look of the tanks? I just thought the inside was different.

Good point. I guess the fuel pump is inside the tank, right? So I guess they can't see the fuel pump at all. So I guess I'm more worried about the Cobra tank. I don't know if the Cobra tank looks different than the Mustang GT tank.

they will never know the difference in the pump tank or injectors. 50lb injectors will be difficult to pass the sniffer with though since it is taken at low RPM where they tend to load up. if you have a really good tuner he should be able to lean it out nicely down low for you to compensate.