Engine and/or Tranny problem?? Help a poor gal out please :-(

itsgreat2bme

Sep 12, 2003
Regina
Alrighty thanks in advance to anyone who can help me, I'll start with the basics: '89 (2.3L obviously :rolleyes: ) Automatic trans, pretty well bone stock too :nonono:

So I walk out to my car after work and notice a black line starting about 5 feet from behind my car :( I look and there is a tiny puddle of black right underneath where the engine meets the tranny. I was almost certain it was engine oil though and I know my buddy Kevin told me a long time ago my rear main seal leaked a tiny bit. So I just assumed that it had gotten worse and it was time to get it fixed. I filled the oil (not that much had leaked out and I only live a few blocks away so I wasn't too worried).

I put it in reverse and back out, I put it into drive (OD) and nothing happens. So I put it into park and try again, still nothing. Tried drive (D) still nothing, so I parked it and shut it off and started it again and this time it works. Odd, and now I'm a little worried. I start driving and I stop at a light and when I take my foot off the brake to go again, it doesn't drive, so I shut it off and started it again and then it works. It sounded like it was revving a little off for the rest of the way and would rev high for no reason and then drop and overall it was just acting weird and I just wanted to get home.

My question is (and sorry for the long background story) what should I do, is both my engine and my tranny broken or is one causing the other? If they are both broken how bad/costly is it to fix (ie: would it be less of a hassle to just find myself a diff Mustang and maybe something newer/better)

I'm so sad, I know it's a POS but it's still my baby :( any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks again!!

-Sarah

• Sponsors (?)

take it to a tranny shop really...or learn how to drive a stick and never worry about it again. the a4ld's are INFAMOUS for breaking, even after rebuilds (so if you stick with the a4ld and get it rebuilt...get a warranty!). Good luck!

It sounds like a transmession leak that is causeing your greif. If its missing enough oil, a auto want move in any gear. So I would check the oil in it and see if that helps. If it does I would probly look into a new transmession filter/fluid since its black fluid and should be redish.

Good Luck.

you definatly need to check the tranny fluid. The transmission won't go into gear when it is low on fluid. Also, the front seal on the transmission is notorious for failures. That is probably your problem.

ok heres what ya need

first check the tranny fluid - if low fill with atf
if low and it still doesnt move then take to the shop ....

sounds like what you are describing is the tranny slipping out of gear !

if you fill it back up and it moves i would rec you buy some trannyadditive
like lucas trans additive or tranny-go

dawsonsdaddy49 said:
first check the tranny fluid - if low fill with atf
if low and it still doesnt move then take to the shop ....

sounds like what you are describing is the tranny slipping out of gear !

if you fill it back up and it moves i would rec you buy some trannyadditive
like lucas trans additive or tranny-go
Ya tried checking it and it seemed low (and then a few times it measured different :shrug: ) but I threw some in and drove around the block with seemingly now problems. But if it's leaking then I shouldn't drive it because it will just keep losing fluid until it starts slipping out of gear again right?
What do those additives do exactly?

itsgreat2bme said:
Ya tried checking it and it seemed low (and then a few times it measured different :shrug: ) but I threw some in and drove around the block with seemingly now problems. But if it's leaking then I shouldn't drive it because it will just keep losing fluid until it starts slipping out of gear again right?
What do those additives do exactly?

If you put fluid in it and the car performed better than we know its a leak causeing you problems. Keep in mind a auto gear box can hold as much as 15 qts of oil so if its to low to move it may need 2-4 qts of oil. The next thing is how bad of a leak and where its located...I would say its bad if you have a lake under your car by the time you get off work. With that in mind I would only drive the car if I had to and nothing more. This way you don't risk being stranded some where. If it was me and its a front seal I would take it to a transmession place and have it fixed right without the use of additives. Now If its the pan gasket or rear seal it can be fixed pretty easy at home or by a local filter replacement shop. Once this is done and the old gear box still works I would go ahead and change the oil/filter in it.

Good Luck

Lex said:
I know its probally a tranny, just make sure the car is running when you check your tranny fluid level to get proper results.
lol, yes, I knew enough to make sure the engine was running :p
But alright, Kevin took a look at it and basically said the same thing I was saying and you guys were saying. We are going to either pull the engine or drop the tranny and might as well replace the rear main seal (since we knew that was leaking a bit to begin with) and the front tranny seal and my cable as well. Here's hoping we can find the time to do it quickly and inexpensively *insert crossing fingers smiley here*

Thanks for all your advice guys, I really appreciated getting some answers right away since I'm one of those inquisitive people who can't just sit and wait around for answers (must be that whole science major chip implanted in my brain :p ) Anyways, thanks again, and like I've said before, you guys are awesome :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: