Electrical engine bay light

Magnet86

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2018
Hagerstown, MD
I had to remove the engine bay light many moons ago- it didn't work. It was coiled up and stuff in the rear corner by the previous owner. Probably because it didn't work. Guess the mercury dried up. I tested it but doesn't look repairable. No continuity on the DVOM. And the connector at the small fusible link on the other end of the wire broke off. Might be able to fix that part.
So are these things fixable? Its original and I'd like to keep it. Appears to be held together by two rivets. I could put on another socket but needs to be mercury.
Thoughts are most welcome.
I put about a hundred miles on it last weekend. Love it. (The car, not the light.)
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Screenshot_2019-09-08-16-30-02-1.png

My light looks like this....not sure what you are describing without a pic.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's the light I have. It is the older style. I say that as I believe the light changed somewhat maybe late 80s, not sure. I could go searching for one at a yard. And the pliers were to hold it down to photo the wire. If anyone has one for a decent price, please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2L 001.jpg
    2L 001.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 2L 002.jpg
    2L 002.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 129
Actually, now that I look at the pic of the lamp on my PC....that doesn't appear to be the correct light for these cars. Can you get a closeup?

The one wayne posted is the later model light, which was 1989-2004 I believe. That one is ford part number 1U5Z-15702-AA

The early model light looks different than the one you posted. I have a working on on my car, i'll try to get a pic.

That's the one.

Mine doesn't have a fusible link though. There's a plug similar to the STI on the eec4 test connector on the end, and it plugs into a mating connector at the firewall.

But the socket end is identical to the NOS photo. However, the one the OP provided doesn't look like it at all.

What year is the car OP?

Actually, now that I look at the pic of the lamp on my PC....that doesn't appear to be the correct light for these cars. Can you get a closeup?

The one wayne posted is the later model light, which was 1989-2004 I believe. That one is ford part number 1U5Z-15702-AA

The early model light looks different than the one you posted. I have a working on on my car, i'll try to get a pic.
Early model ones are different, later model ones won't fit. There are no replacements.

What’s the year breakdown for the lights on the fox?

89-93 is the later one, but are there two early ones or one?

Here’s the one out of my ‘88. LED bulb not original of course
CCC33A29-7C46-4755-A338-A99238E55C94.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s the year breakdown for the lights on the fox?

89-93 is the later one, but are there two early ones or one?

Here’s the one out of my ‘88. LED bulb not original of course
CCC33A29-7C46-4755-A338-A99238E55C94.jpeg
'87-'88 are as shown minus the LED lamp (obviously).
Mine stopped working properly years ago. I stays ON all the time, even with the hood closed.
Notice that the mounting is different from the later models.
I've tried to fix the existing one. The mercury must be stuck in one side and/or some kind of internal short.
Sometimes it will blow the fuse on that circuit. I leave it unplugged.

Not to blow up the discussion but with all the magnetic high output LED light devices now why go to all the trouble....unless you are doing a 100 point restoration? I mean they are small too. It's always good to have a portable light in the car anyway for checking things at any area of the car. Just wondering.

Reactions: 1 user