Engine Build Questions (2v To 4v)

JQHNDi

Aug 14, 2014
Hello all. I own a 2001 Mustang GT and ever since learning about the amazing 4 Valve engines that the Mach 1s and Termi's had, Ive dreamed of either building my engine up to a 4V or swapping in a 4 valve from one of those cars. But am not sure what all would need to be done or which option would be better.

I have a feeling that swapping in a 4V from a mach 1 or termi is probably over all cheaper but wanted to ask and get ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

I thought so. I assume building up an engine would allow for many more problems as well. And ya I figured as much.

Call me crazy but for some reason I have this desire to leave my engine NA, so my next best bet would be to buy a Mach 1 engine then wouldn't it? Or can you remove the supercharger from a cobra engine?

I know I know I'm insane. Just something about the supercharger whine is a complete turn off to me.

Stay away from the 03-04 Cobra motors. Because they came with superchargers, their compression ratio is 8.5:1 Without any forced induction on it, it's going to be low on power

Don't think its that simple. From what I understand you need an engine harness as well. Plus all of the accessories. The 4 valve heads have a different intake so that means the sensors are in different places, the 4 valve have some extra sensors such as the Knock sensor in the valley of the block.

Not exactly plug and play as far as switching engines is concerned. If have the resources, time and skill, that type of swap can be done, though.

Saw a V-8 BMW at Lowes the other day, so..........!

You should look into a Torque Tech kit.

Last edited:
Don't think its that simple. From what I understand you need an engine harness as well. Plus all of the accessories. The 4 valve heads have a different intake so that means the sensors are in different places, the 4 valve have some extra sensors such as the Knock sensor in the valley of the block.

Not exactly plug and play as far as switching engines is concerned. If have the resources, time and skill, that type of swap can be done, though.

Saw a V-8 at Lowes the other day, so..........!

You should look into a Torque Tech kit.

It is that simple. GT harness and ECU will work on any 4V. Sure the sensors are in different locations.....but Im not sure what the issue is with that. As far as extra sensors, if the GT harness isn't equipped to monitor those sensors......then they aren't monitored. It doesnt mean the motor wont run.

Thanks you guys very much. I was under the impression that I would have to get a different ECU, but your saying that GT ECU will work with the 4 Valve? Will it cause the engine to perform differently than it would in say in its host car?

Thanks you guys very much. I was under the impression that I would have to get a different ECU, but your saying that GT ECU will work with the 4 Valve? Will it cause the engine to perform differently than it would in say in its host car?
What I'm saying is the computer needs to be changed. I think every GT owner has had that thought, but as it is, not pragmatic for someone to do in the driveway. Rather buy a Mach or Cobra, less heart-ache. My .02

The 2v computer will run a 4v engine, but needs a tune to get the most from a 4v. I think the COP leads need to be changed too. It has been a few years since I looked into it, but from memory the leads need to be extended some and the polarity may need to be reversed. There used to be tons of info about it on the interwebs, but some of the sites have disappeared.