Engine Build Questions

ok so for a few days now ive been searching, asking and debating on how to build my new motor, first question can i run 450rwhp on a stock block with stock internals with turbos, if not what would you guys build with or without turbos, i road race and drift the car any help is great, btw i used the search feature and couldnt find what i needed

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure but I don't think the stock internals can take that much power.

I'm currently building my engine for about the same amount of power. I bought a DSS shortblock with forged internals, edelbrock victor jr heads, and soon a tricklow box r series intake. With that engine wise and my vortech v-2 I plan on making around 450-475rwhp. Hopefully? Lol

you can do it on stock parts, but you are living on borrowed time.
if you plan on running at that level and are a serious racer I would either
A) run a 351 with forged internals. IIRC the 351 block can hold about 600hp
B) go with a full blown DSS block and the sky is the limit.

I split my stock block clean up the middle right through the cam bearings with all forged internals. I was at about 400hp to the tires then. Even had a main girdle on it. The thing is if you try the stock block like I did what if those nice forged parts get spit out onto the road when it lets go? I was lucky when the block went it lost all oil pressure and I shut it off. The pic is my stock main cap on top of my new block when we built the motor last year. By the way 89 to 91 came forged from the factory before the bean counters stopped them. Mike

Attachments

• DSCN2796 (3).JPG
    DSCN2796 (3).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 112
400 HP on Boost is do able on stock components... and they will last!! ( 400-450 boosted is OK) !! HOWEVER.. the E7 blocks do break in half!! The 2MAE crankshaft does break at 1-5 journal!! How much and when?? That is a guess!!

Use and early 302 block ( pre roller)! Use 2M or 2MA crankshaft !! Arp bolts on the stock rods, and the forged pistons. This will take a lot more beating than the roller block and crankshaft!! Keys here... BALANCE the assy!! Clearance the piston to cylinder wall!! Side clearance on the rods.. ect ect... as you are going to be at long periods at rpm in the drift!! Just a thought.... but YES you can hold 450 HP on stock parts!!

Just me.........................................

Thumper

stop being cheap, get yourself a decent 351w and call it a day.. there's no point in going forged in a 302 when you can go forged in a 351w and make way more hp with the set up.. SAFELY!

actually there is a point, remember i need the car to drift now with the suspension weight as it is set an extra 200lbs on the front end is alot, plus the weight of the turbos thats going to change the geometry on the car immensly i need to keep overall weight down, now i am in no way being cheap as you guys can see in my sig i have not skimped with this car i simply asked if it CAN be done, if for 1 season possibly 2 as of now the way i see it i have enough money to go all forged internals or a twin turbo setup but not enough to do both because if i was going to build any motor the motor would be built specifically for the turbos complete with low compression pistons and a boss block, but as of now i can afford to freshen up the engine and do turbos, then build another motor specifically for the turbos, i was just seeing what kind of power levels i can run i can always turn the boost down to save the engine but if i got a righteous spare why would i :D these were all hypothetical questions and i thank you guys for the responses

I split my stock block clean up the middle right through the cam bearings with all forged internals. I was at about 400hp to the tires then. Even had a main girdle on it. The thing is if you try the stock block like I did what if those nice forged parts get spit out onto the road when it lets go? I was lucky when the block went it lost all oil pressure and I shut it off. The pic is my stock main cap on top of my new block when we built the motor last year. By the way 89 to 91 came forged from the factory before the bean counters stopped them. Mike

so my california 88 doesnt have stock forged internals i was under the impression that the 88 cali stangs had the same stuff as every other 89 stang btw what kind of block is that in the pic is it a modded stock block with 4 bolt caps ?

400 HP on Boost is do able on stock components... and they will last!! ( 400-450 boosted is OK) !! HOWEVER.. the E7 blocks do break in half!! The 2MAE crankshaft does break at 1-5 journal!! How much and when?? That is a guess!!

Use and early 302 block ( pre roller)! Use 2M or 2MA crankshaft !! Arp bolts on the stock rods, and the forged pistons. This will take a lot more beating than the roller block and crankshaft!! Keys here... BALANCE the assy!! Clearance the piston to cylinder wall!! Side clearance on the rods.. ect ect... as you are going to be at long periods at rpm in the drift!! Just a thought.... but YES you can hold 450 HP on stock parts!!

Just me.........................................

Thumper

thanks that helps alot, and btw generally how long does an order for your heads take, what kind hp numbers do you see with just your heads and a set of roller rockers ?

your block wont crack at 400-450 hp. I had at least 430 at the crank. I can think of how many people i know of who are close to 500hp. For people to say its gonna crack at 400 hp is rediculous. Just my opinion