Engine Build Questions

94 Cob

Nov 29, 2010
NC
Need some help!

I got the new 302 in the car. I went to set the dizzy in and ran into two problems:

1. Trying to find top dead center on the compression stroke and I'm not feeling any air push out the number one spark plug hole while turning the crankshaft. Does this mean that I tightened the rocker too tight and the valves are sitting open?
Thoughts?

2. The dizzy won't seat all the way. It couldn't be any closer to touching the block but it still is not all the way down. Any ideas to what would cause this?

Very frustrating.

• Sponsors (?)

1... pull the valve covers...rotate the motor til you see the balancer come up to 0 on the timing mark...look up and see it both valves are closed on #1 cyl.
if not then keep turning the motor over (clockwise) til this happens. Once both are closed and your on 0 your TDC.

2... you prolly need to lift the dizzy up a tad, rotate the pointer a little and then drop back down...sounds like your not quite engaging on the cam so it wont drop down. you need to catch the cam gear to mesh the dizzy...can be tricky to feel it.

how much did you TQ the rocker bolts??? should only be 5/8 to 3/4 turn after zero lash.

That amount sounds fine...they shouldnt be hung open. what method did you use to get zero lash before TQing?

when exh starts to open adjust intake
when intake is almost closed adjust exh

I put it at TDC and adjusted the number one valves and then turned the crankshaft 1/4 turn and followed the firing order turning the crankshaft 1/4 turn each time. I tried the dizzy again today and still it does not seat all the way. Could it be the oil pump shaft is too long?

Not likely. Sometimes they are just a bitch to seat. The rotor is going to twist when it goes down. Try moving the rotor back and forth and wiggly it down.

Kurt