engine build quick question

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
Ok, i have been communicating with my mechanic that is doing my engine rebuild. Honestly the most i would ever want is 600hp/600tq and im not looking for more than that. I am actually aiming for 500hp and if i get more then, sweet. My mechanic found a kit for me for $1750 that is forged crank, forged pistons, forged H beam rods. He said that if i didnt get the kit I can buy the pistons and rods separately, but i would have to pay $200 for balancing. I'm trying to cut a little corners so i can get some cams, and i figured since i wont be over 600hp ever that i should skip the forged crank. Does anyone know a website that sells a kit for 1k or so with pistons, rings and h-rods?
I'm thinking 23cc dish pistons for high boost, and he recommended xe268h-14 cams, what do you guys suggest? I want them to be semi decent, but not to noticeable (by sound) because of California smog.

• Sponsors (?)

dont cheap out on the crank.

what brand are the parts he is looking at for $1700?

Manley, why do you know a cheaper kit? Well i dont plan on pushing it past 600hp though, i thought the stock crank could work for that hp level? Do you think those are good cams, What would you suggest?

Edit: i just called and its manley pistons and rods and a ford cobra nodular iron crankshaft, it also comes with a harmonic balancer and flywheel. Does 1750 sound like a good deal?

i'd get the cobra crank b/c the stock GT one is only good for around 550. why replace everything and push the limits when you'll only save a few hundred.

thats a good price for the whole kit

Thanks, I'll definitely be doing it then. Tomorrow he's going to tare down my whole engine, it'll be a week before i get to see it again :( lol, but im getting a sweet deal. I'm only paying 4500 and that includes the kit, cams, heads being ported, and labor. He is also installing my Spec stage 3 clutch, and my vortech supercharger and dual cobra fuel pumps. I wont get the vortech installed for another week or two after i get my car back because of my fuel system. I'm still trying to get all my parts/money together so i'm holding off for the moment, so it'll be a n/a car for about a week lol.

i have a comp xe270ah's in my car and love em but i think you might gain more power with a cam ground specifically for blower applications. youre getting new pistons anyway, with valve reliefs you wont have to worry about ptv contact

i have a comp xe270ah's in my car and love em but i think you might gain more power with a cam ground specifically for blower applications. youre getting new pistons anyway, with valve reliefs you wont have to worry about ptv contact

What cam would you recommend? This cam works na and blower which is a good choice incase i ever decide to remove the supercharger.