Engine Build

HJP0313

Jan 25, 2014
Jacksonville, N.C.
Hey guys. I know there are posts about various engine builds/mods. But I'm really looking for a list of what I would need. I don't want to do a 351windsor. That will probably happen after I'm out of the Corps. There are so many H/C/I combos and I'm not sure which one is best and if I should go stroker or not. I do want to keep my EFI and I don't want to use nitrous. I'd really like to make somewhere in the 300-350 range.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's just a topend kit you're looking for I recommend the TFS kit. Yes it's more expensive but it'll make more power,is a better design,and can grow with any mods later. If you're completely rebuilding the engine I would build a stroker with that kit or better yet piece together an even better h/c/i. Like tfs 205cc heads with a custom cam and tfs r box/Holley systeMax,eddy rpm2 intake. With a well designed setup 350-400 rwhp is easily attainable

I was looking at that. I wasn't sure if it was a good kit or not. What lifters do you recommend. It says it doesn't come with them
Stock or stock replacement work great and will save some coin. The kit is a good starting place, but youll also want to upgrade the fuel system when you do it, the stock 19lb injectors will be close to maxed out. Also you may want to piece it together and upgrade a few parts and gaskets (the stage 1 cam is a bit on the small side for these heads, but it does work well, up to you)

decisions decisions!....i just went through this...lol...i ended peicing mine together but from what i hear the tfs kit it decent... id personaly go with that other than the one your looking at....comes with everything you need...but you better cap how much hp your looking for because it starts adding up!

You'll also need a MA sensor and TB to match, with 1 5/8" headers highly recommended to finish the package. You need to decide how often you're going to drive this car. If it's a DD go relatively mild on the cam, say 220-230 maximum on duration at .050. If it's a toy, you can pick any cam you want, but big cams can have other consequences.

Probably 24lb injectors I'm guessing? And bigger fuel pump? What cam would you recommend?
24's are fine, but 30's will give some extra room, and get an maf to match. cam is really up to you, im no expert there, but something along the lines of the stage 2 or the comp equivalent sounds about right, and is what i wish i would have done when i had my tfs heads on.

Looking back on my build as it has come together I kick myself for not just picking up a stroker kit for a 347 from summit where its already balanced and what not. In the long run for me it would have made higher power than where I'll be at and the cost would have been about the same. The other thing is that you will be able to do power adders in the event that you feel the need down the line because the crank and the rods are forged so they could take the abuse. I'd personally recommend looking into one of these guys. If I have the opportunity again in the future I will definitely go this route.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...steel?SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending

Andrew

Looking back on my build as it has come together I kick myself for not just picking up a stroker kit for a 347 from summit where its already balanced and what not. In the long run for me it would have made higher power than where I'll be at and the cost would have been about the same. The other thing is that you will be able to do power adders in the event that you feel the need down the line because the crank and the rods are forged so they could take the abuse. I'd personally recommend looking into one of these guys. If I have the opportunity again in the future I will definitely go this route.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...steel?SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending

Andrew
Stock block + stroker + boost = kaboom
Besides we don't even know if op is rebuilding or using the stock longblock