Engine pinging at ~5k RPMs

99SilverGT

Founding Member
Apr 11, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
Just started this not too long ago. Notice it when I'm at 5k or so in 2nd gear. Its pretty noticeable with the windows down. Running 87 octane, 64k miles, factory timing. I'm going to fill up with 89 or 93 next time to see if that does anything.

Any idea why this would just start happening, I know for sure that it hasn't been for more than 1k miles or so.

• Sponsors (?)

millatime said:
my car makes some noise kinda, more like a knocking when i get on at and run past 5k...is this the same thing you are talking about?

Maybe. It's fairly loud, you can hear it easily with the windows down. If you have the windows up it sounds like its coming from the transmission, but its definately not.

It sounds like you have ball bearings bouncing around in your engine.

I guess my main question is, why would this start happening out of no where? No changes were made to the car and it's never pinged on 87 before.

millatime said:
thats exaclty what mine sounds like...but the only aftermarket stuff i have is 40 series flows and a k&n filter

Some of the newer stangs have been known to do it from the factory. Those people generally just run 89 or 93 to stop it. Definately try to avoid it if you can! These engines aren't too fond of heavy pinging.

millatime said:
the only thing I wonder about is that supposedly they fixed the ticking head problem mid 2003 and my engine was made after then...but it still makes noise?

Well, I'm not sure if the pinging is related to that problem. I think its a seperate issue. The cars ping from the factory because they're running too lean. Thats just a tuning problem.

If the gas doesn't work, try these...

- gently clean the MAF with a Q-tip, it could be sending erroneous readings causing your engine to lean out...
- O2 sensors...
- maybe even the Intake Air Temp sensor

Best wishes

Bo

Hey Bro, I have the same problem with my 01 Bullitt. I just my car into Ford and had them check it out. The Ford tech said my computer is not reporting any codes. He said I have to much timing so he could either pull some out or I could run higher octane gasoline. I chose to leave the extra timing and run 89 octane.

With 87 octane my car sound like someone has a wrench beating on my pistons at full throtle under load (up hill).

With 89 octane the ping/knock is almost non-existant.

Same thing with 93 octane.

Note: the greater the octane the slower the fuel will burn. With to much octane (more then needed) the gasoline burns to slowly and my theory is it will take away from your HP because the explosion is not as violent/quick to burn. I think to much octane may cause incomplete burning of the fuel, robbing your engine of power and wasting gasoline.

Kcsburk said:
Note: the greater the octane the slower the fuel will burn. With to much octane (more then needed) the gasoline burns to slowly and my theory is it will take away from your HP because the explosion is not as violent/quick to burn. I think to much octane may cause incomplete burning of the fuel, robbing your engine of power and wasting gasoline.

Yea, I plan on trying 89 first to see if that stops if it. You're right though. The goal is to have high enough octane to prevent knocking and thats it... any more is just robbing power. I believe you can hurt your engine if you have way too much octane also because of all the after-burn. But I think that means running something like 110 in a stock car with factory timing.