Engine rebuild help needed

KCoppola

Apr 5, 2005
atlanta
My 88GT, which was formerly for sale, is going to get a rebuild hopefully this winter. my goal is a streetable N/A 350rwhp. what is the most economical route to get there? i have a let of decent pieces on the car already, and would like to re use as many as possible. i am trying to keep the budget meter under 3K. any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

90mustang_GT5.0 said:
you can prolly get a pritty mean create motor for well under 3k.... id look into that!.. most of your parts you could likely reuse, im sure!...
Not a Ford crate motor :notnice:
The 351 sounds good to me. Can find em pretty cheap :flag:

what's the avg cost for a 350hp build, that is my benchmark as well. I have an explorer engine, but I havnt done anything with it since I pulled it. I would not be against selling it and getting a 351 if that will get me there easier.

The $3000 mark is a bit low for a new block, crank, pistons, rods, cam and heads. A stroker kit would be the best bet for a non fussy engine that has the kind of power you want. A 351 will make an easy 350 flywheel HP, but 350 rear wheel HP is going to take some extra effort. There is roughly 20% losss in the drive train, and more with an auto trans. That means 420 flywheel HP to get your 350 rear wheel HP. Cranking that kind of naturally aspirated power out of 351 cubic inches can be done but the engine is not so street friendly as a stroker would be.

For a $3000, 350 RWHP, you would need a used supercharger and used heads and a good dyno tune to meet your goal on a 302-306 engine.

i chatted with someone earlier who got 365 rwhp out of a DSS 331 stroker shortblock, T/W heads, and similar supporting mods to what i have. he did have a dyno sheet to prove it...... any thoughts? is this typical, or the exception to the rule......