Engine starts (woot), starter making strange noise/having trouble turning it over

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Got my engine (with the new heads/cam/intake/carb) started up a few days ago. It sounds great once its running (well, after the first few starts where it kidna fizzled and died after running briefly).

However, the starter (which had been working great before the swap), had a lot of trouble starting, or at least sounded like it. Instead of the usual starter noise (the noise 90% of all starters I've ever heard, regardless of car) make, it would make this loud, kind of blaring periodic noise 3 or 4 times before turning over.

The sound is pretty hard to describe, I was trying to make a video of it on here and post it but it didn't seem to translate very well to my digital camera's video.

Anyway, any idea what the noise could be? Did I somehow break the starter when I pulled it (i didn't drop it or anything...)? Is there some other part of the ignition that might be doing it?

Thanks again, pics of the engine with all the new goodies will be up soon! :usa: :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

No expert, but sound like a dying starter. Is it a horrible grinding noise? Could be something wrong with the gear inside the starter. Could the starter be loose?

Nah, didn't sound like the starter was grinding or anything. Like I said, the sound is tough to describe. I'll try to get a recording when I get a chance.

And it definitely was working fine prior to being pulled.

I'll check to make sure its in tight and that the connections are secure, but is there anything else i should check?

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but did the starter work fine after reinstalling the engine, and then it just up and started making this noise? Could be the tooth count on the flywheel is different than what the starter is designed for? Is the flat block plate installed between the engine and bell?

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but did the starter work fine after reinstalling the engine, and then it just up and started making this noise? Could be the tooth count on the flywheel is different than what the starter is designed for? Is the flat block plate installed between the engine and bell?

Starter worked flawlessly before it was removed because we needed access to the header on that side. We just finished reassembling the engine and now it makes this noise. No other related components were removed (the transmission/flywheel/etc)... it was just a top end engine rebuild. Like I said, the only reason we touched it was because we needed to take out the header. But the tooth count is right and its the right starter for the car, and has the block plate installed.

The flywheel teeth look great, as did the starter teeth when it came out.

Did any shims fall out when you removed the starter? It is very common to have starters shimmed to get the gear engagement depth correct and avoid problems caused by mis algignment, such as loud squeal noise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just an oddball thought, but it happened to me earlier this spring. I pulled my engine to install a T5 and replace my oil pump, so I had to pull the starter. When I pulled it, I didn't notice, but when I re-installed it, the starter itself had worked loose. I was happy that I noticed it before it fell apart, but it sounded different when I started it for the first time compared to before I tightened it. It wasn't an awful sound or anything-just sounded different. Maybe yours has worked loose, and it is more loose than mine was? Like I said, an oddball thought.....

appears the problem kinda fixed itself, started it today and the sound was less pronounced and eventually disappeared. working theory is the motor (new lifters, rockers & cam) was sorta working itself in and had some initial resistance to the starter. either way, love it when problems (seem to) solve themselves. will update if the sound returns.