Engine swap or forced induction?

Which is the better option as far as most bang for the buck?

• Forced Induction (i.e. Supercharger/Turbo)

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Higher displacement engine swap

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

torqueIT

Jan 9, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona
For most bang for your buck for your proverbial buck, what would be the more ideal way to go...

Go by way of forced induction to improve the existing 3v that comes with the GT or..

Do a complete engine swap with a higher displacement engine?

I ask this because this because from my point of view it seems like you could go either way for roughly the same price range. I may be wrong, I may be right, but for those who are better in the know, I thought I'd set up this poll to see what the general opinion is.

• Sponsors (?)

go with the supercharger. an engine swap will cost way more in the long run. it also depends on what you mean when you say larger displacement. are you talking about a 5.4, which would be an relatively easy swap? or a 351W or maybe even a 514:D ? when you swap to a carbed engine, you will lose many features like cruise control. you may even lose the ability to use air bags, since the computer cant "see" your speed. it would be a wiring nightmare. you would have to sort through whats needed and whats not. then you would have to figure out what can go and does not affect any other parts.

the supercharger will give you the better end of the deal, IMO.

Personally, I really didn't want to have to fill a bottle, or wait until I have wide-open-throttle before it kicks in, so I went with a screw-type supercharger. I love instant throttle responce at any RPM. I'm used to big block Fords and this is pretty close to one with the low end torque.

The engine sway would be more $$$ and more hassle, so the s/c is the better bang for the buck...
I put a lot of miles on my car, so I'm thinking that in a couple of years (when the 5.4 in the new mustangs is a little more common) I'll do the engine swap. Hopefully at that point the conversion parts (and instructions) will be abundant and cheaper.

Bad67MF said:
I know most will go with the SC :( but I have always used the the poor mans SC (NOS) It's there when you need it :D and more bang for your buck:D

The 'gas' is always a nice option.

I'm just wanting to go with something a little less 'the norm'.
An engine swap was something I was always planning to do, but what held me back was finding a good shop to do the work and not try and gouge me outta my hard earned paychecks.

I figure if I'm going to budget somewhere around $7-12 thousand in upgrades for beefing up an engine, I might as do a swap rather than induction add ons to an existing 4.6. The block reinforcements alone would make this worth the extra effort. But that's just me.

i'm not sure if it would fit, but a V-10 from the F-series would be a terror in a car. some of the electronics could be utilized to some extent, and this way you are not at the end of the horsepower rope. If you add the sc and aren't happy, then gaining ponies above this is going to cost more and more. i have seen whole trucks go at insurance auctions for $4000-5000 CAD. all the running gear was fine, just rolled. maybe this isn't as common elsewhere though. throw a Bank's twin turbo kit in her, and watch the people run from the streets when you fire it up.... :D ok, i'm getting a bit carried away, a 5.4 would still be a great platform to build from. i think we are going to see more aftermarket parts for them with the addition of the '07 cobra and for sure if ford stuffs one in a later model.

fullsagd said:
i'm not sure if it would fit, but a V-10 from the F-series would be a terror in a car. some of the electronics could be utilized to some extent, and this way you are not at the end of the horsepower rope. If you add the sc and aren't happy, then gaining ponies above this is going to cost more and more. i have seen whole trucks go at insurance auctions for $4000-5000 CAD. all the running gear was fine, just rolled. maybe this isn't as common elsewhere though. throw a Bank's twin turbo kit in her, and watch the people run from the streets when you fire it up.... :D ok, i'm getting a bit carried away, a 5.4 would still be a great platform to build from. i think we are going to see more aftermarket parts for them with the addition of the '07 cobra and for sure if ford stuffs one in a later model.

Yeah, I'm not sure either, on the V-10, although that would be sweet. The 5.4 (based on what I'm gleaning from the rumor mill) is possibly what's going to fuel the new Boss Mustang (should that get produced). If that's the case, I might just wait till that comes out instead. I was looking at World Products Man-O-War Ford crate engines but we'll see on that since I've yet to talk with them.

Its just good to get some perspective from various Mustangers who've been around the block a bit more than I when it comes to things like an engine swap.

royb said:
yeah go with a blower it cost less and is faster with better drivability...
2005 Mustang GT Supercharged (Saleen) 454RWHP446RWTQ SAE

Not enough umph for me.
I'm wanting at least 600hp (i.e. a Z06 beater). But for that you would definitely need to beef up the internals on the 3v to handle that kind of grunt (obviously it can be done), but by the time you add in enough meat to the engine/clutch/tranny to handle the additional HP, you could've gone with an engine swap that would do it without the additional forced induction for about the same price.

I dunno. To me it sounds more like people are saying its 'cheaper' to go with forced induction, but what they're actually wanting to say is that its 'easier'.

Am I wrong? :shrug:

torqueIT said:
Not enough umph for me.
I'm wanting at least 600hp (i.e. a Z06 beater). But for that you would definitely need to beef up the internals on the 3v to handle that kind of grunt (obviously it can be done), but by the time you add in enough meat to the engine/clutch/tranny to handle the additional HP, you could've gone with an engine swap that would do it without the additional forced induction for about the same price.

I dunno. To me it sounds more like people are saying its 'cheaper' to go with forced induction, but what they're actually wanting to say is that its 'easier'.

Am I wrong? :shrug:

I did beat a 06 Viper, i'm pretty sure I can take the Z06 as well. you wont be able to beat a z06 with 600 rwhp unless you make major changes to the suspension since you will not be able to get the power to the ground. I have 522 HP at the crank - more than the viper & z06. My internal are stock & have no problems.

Attachments

• hppdyno1.JPG
    hppdyno1.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 144
no matter what, you will have to strengthen your tranny and rear to handle 600 hp for any amount of time. you will also have to do some suspension work to get it to the ground. overall, it will be cheaper AND easier to just add boost.

torqueIT said:
If you don't mind my asking, what did that whole setup cost you (including labor)?

Did you do the installs yourself?

Do you have a picture posted of your ride?

I did the labor myself.

supercharger $4500, 39lb cobra matched injectors $319, 90mm maf $99,xpipe $180, BMR LCA $129., CAI $175, shorty headers $300, M/T Drag Radials $345, 10lb Pulley $175, other incidentials $300. I have about $6500 + or - a few bucks.

The car looks 100% stock except for my SOS pillar pos with the fuel & boost gauges.

royb said:
I did the labor myself.

supercharger $4500, 39lb cobra matched injectors $319, 90mm maf $99,xpipe $180, BMR LCA $129., CAI $175, shorty headers $300, M/T Drag Radials $345, 10lb Pulley $175, other incidentials $300. I have about $6500 + or - a few bucks.

The car looks 100% stock except for my SOS pillar pos with the fuel & boost gauges.

Gotta admit, that's not bad as far as pricing goes. :nice:

Are you planning any further upgrades in the future?
By the way, I assume you're utlizing a manual tranny, yes?

How about some visuals? :D

torqueIT said:
Gotta admit, that's not bad as far as pricing goes. :nice:

Are you planning any further upgrades in the future?
By the way, I assume you're utlizing a manual tranny, yes?

How about some visuals? :D

it's a 5 speed, There's always somehting to upgrade....

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 126
  • manifoldoff.JPG
    manifoldoff.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 148