Engine ticking noise *vid*

RochesterGT

Jul 18, 2006
Penfield, NY
Click here to watch Engine-Tick--

Had this weird very quiet low pitched tick the year now I've owned the car. It only does it when it's cold and totally goes away when it's warm.

Lately, I've been getting a tick once the car is WARM, opposite of before. It ONLY happens when I'm just BARELY on the gas, and above 2k rpm, like you see in the vid. If I give it anymore gas than JUST a little bit, the noise goes away.

Little background - had the engine out the beginning of May and replaced the rod bearings a piston (new rings and wrist pin on that piston) and replaced all the gaskets. I took the car to Ford a week ago and they say they "think" it "might be" a timing chain tensioner. Idiots.

It sounds a little more serious to me. It's not rod knock because it's not there all the time. Could this be valve train noise? It's just weird that it goes away as soon as I give it any more than a little bit of gas.

• Sponsors (?)

First thing to check when you hear "a tick" is the tightness of the spark plugs. Do this when the engine is cold.

If one is loose it could blow out so check them ASAP...

I had a similar problem in my old 89 camaro that I used to have. It ended up being a broken bracket. I can't remember which one it was, but the pieces were clacking together when it was cold. Heat makes metal expand, so the sound went away once it heated up. I kind of doubt this is your problem, just because of the way you say it does it under certain RPM's also, but, just to be safe, maybe you should check ALL of your brackets, mounts, and pullies for cracks or broken parts. Another time I had a similar problem (same camaro), it was a loose valve, and since you DID have your engine apart, that would be a possibility.