Engine ticking

Hello every one , im in need of some serious help and im sure i came to the right place . I inheritted this 2001 mustang gt 4.6L 2V automatic transmission . Stock as far as i know . Shes got a lot of miles on her and she still runs , well kind of . My DaD passed on this year on May 1st . He was 61 . He battled dialysis for the last 8 years . This is kind of crazy but the day he got burried i was on my way to his funeral and out of all days , she decides to jump timing on me . A few blocks away from the cemetary . After the funeral i got her towed home and did a timing job on her . I replaced guides , tensioners , chains , water and oil pump . Put her back together , fresh oil and coolant . Fired her up and as you can hear she dont sound very good . To be honest i have no $$ to take her to a mechanic so $$ is the main issue . I was hoping to maybe getting some help from you guys . I need to fix her A S A P because my mom cant afford insurance on her and shes even talking about getting rid of her . If i dont fix her then off she goes . Any help would be greatly appreciated , sorry for the bad grammer and spelling , hope to read from yall sooner that later , GoD bless.....

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on performing a compression test.

A mechanic's stethoscope can be your friend.

Did you take pictures of the timing chains dots and marks after the work was done?

Did you rotate the cams or crank while the timing chains were loose?

But to be honest with you. IF the timing jumped while the motor was running the odds favor that the damage has already been done.

Have you looked at getting a whole salvage yard motor? Try car-part.com for some sample prices. Re-use the new timing chain that you now find in your possession. Recommendation. Look for a motor from a 2003+ Ford Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car).

Remind your Mom that a 2001 Mustang GT with a blown motor isn't worth very much on the used market. IMO. Anyone that is capable of performing a timing job on a 4.6 is also capable of swapping a whole motor.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users