Ever feel snubbed by the s197 crowd?

I'm not sure if its just my area but I swear all the new retro s197 guys either aren't real mustang fans or think they are too cool for school when it comes to older mustangs. You guys ever feel this way? I'm not trying to say my aero vert is the hottest thing on the block but i still think it looks pretty good and turns some heads.

What do you guys think? Aeros and New Edges welcome. Foxes too if you please.

• Sponsors (?)

Yup... Usually they wont even look my way when Im at a light or when I see them in traffic, & Im not tootin my own horn, but I know my car turns heads.... 9X's out of 10 though, its usually an older person driving them though.... To be honest , those S197's dont even turn my head anymore unless its a Roush, Shelby, or Saleen, or a GT with exterior mods... All the regular GT's I see in stock form are so Blah looking IMO...

Oh, I've noticed a little arrogance in the 197 community. Not saying everyone is that way, but a lot of people that I have met with them seem to think that they are the only Mustang out there. There's a guy at work that bought a black 05 V6, and I was parking next to him for a while before he asked me one day "Why I bothered to spend so much money on my 'old' Mustang versus getting one with some real power. I guess that 4.0 has something going on that I don't know about.

To be honest , those S197's dont even turn my head anymore unless its a Roush, Shelby, or Saleen, or a GT with exterior mods... All the regular GT's I see in stock form are so Blah looking IMO...

:Word:

although i have gotten the thumbs up from a couple of s197's it was in my cobra, not my old GT.

and also i have had a bunch of people ask me "is that a real cobra? awesome man!"

Yea its usually older dudes driving them around here. Most guys here like the foxes and sn95's. But the few younger guys are usually douches, or they think they are bad ass in thier buzzing half dozens:rolleyes:

I've talked to a couple S197 drivers at stoplights. Just small talk about each's car. But besides those couple times it's just Mustang driving by a Mustang, no acknowledgement at all. Unless it's a performance sounding or exterior upgraded S197 I really could'nt care less about that body style.

Just an observation, but from reading some of the responses here it seems like maybe the S197 crowd is being snubbed by us.:shrug:

I am not particularly fond of the new bodystyle either, but come to think of it, when the 99's came out I wasn't too fond of them either.

I'm always open to other gearheads. I'm a car enthusiast not some vehicularly compartmentalized nazi that thinks that Car X from Mfr. Y is the ONLY way to fly.
That said I have seen way more riced out or bubbafied foxes and new edges than S197s usually driven by people who bring a bad rep to the brand name.

I kinda feel the same way. Many 197 owners that I have run into have bought them as their first Mustang. Or they were out of the Mustang community for a LONG time and jumped back in with the retro look. Many are cool people as well, but I do sometimes feel like they have an attitude about them. Who knows...so in no way do I want to make a blanket statement since you could say the same about any other bodystyle/era owners as well. Lets not get started on the aftermarket snubbing the new edge or ford itself. That would be a much easier fight. Compared to the 197, new edges and especially the SN-95's are the forgotten ones.

I don't know if its actually arrogance or not but many S197 owners do seem to have a blind eye when it comes to any other Mustang. For some it may be that they think the only good Stang is a retro one or an original, for some its their first Mustang and they don't know better, it could be ignorance about older Mustangs or it could just be that many of them don't care.

Personally on the S197's its a car by car basis for me as to whether I like them or not. Most of the GT's are just plain Jane don't do nothing for me but every once in awhile you see one that just loks sweet.

And yes, I do get annoyed by all the Pony cars with stripes or hood scoops. Makes it difficult to tell whats a GT and what is not. Another reason I took the stripes off my car is that there are just so many S197's with 'em.

C;mon. It's nothing new. It's been the same way for the last 10-20 years

The newest Mustangs are usually owned by the trendy people who want something new and fresh. They wanted one when they were younger and now they can afford it so they go buy it. Usually they own it 3-5 years and move on. Usually the first sign of probs they start looking for something to trade it in on. Not to say there aren't real enthusiasts mixed in the crowd, but I'm sure they will agree they have seen their share of people driving a GT with dings and scrapes all over it from someone "who doesn't care the way they do"

The older cars tend to have these people weed out because the only ones working through the probs are true enthusiasts. Cars 3-8 years old might have a few people who bought them used because they couldn't afford new and always wanted a Mustang, but as time goes on they move on too. By the time you get to Fox bodies, only enthusiasts own these 20+ year cars that require constant attention.

I'm sure in 5 years we'll be seeing "Why do those damn 6th Gen Mustang owners look down at us S197 guys!"