Everything (everyone) is after me today?

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
I went to get my registration renewed on my 68, so I can use my 68 plates, but nothing works out right for me. Instead of ranting about the whole day, I'll give you the short version.

Went to the tag office a total of 4 times, because the people there didn't know what they were doing, and I don't live close to it, about 14 miles. They appearently have never had anyone register a car under as classic. They kept mis-informing me, causing me to run back and forth like a chicken with its head cut off. Amazingly, I kept my temper in check.

It only took 4 1/2 hours to get my registration renewed as classic status, thus allowing me to run my Texas 1968 "Hemisfair" license plates.

Then the valve stem on the front driver's side of the 68 decided it wanted to come apart while I was trying to put air in it.

I'm staying in my house the rest of the day.

/end rant

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I feel your pain, my truck is in AZ and I'm not, so when my brother is going to get it registered so that I can drive it back home, they tell him you need this.. He gets this, then goes back and they tell him you need that... He gets that and goes back, then they tell him you need this over here... so forth and so on, this has been going on since January 31st and he just today told me about it. I looked online and I can do all of it there. :bang:

There's a song out there by Primus with the line in it "I've been to hell and they call it the DMV"

That's exactly what happened to me. I needed my dad there, because the title is still in his name. I go get him, come back and fill out that paper again. Then when it comes time to pay, I pull out my debit card and they say they can only take cash or check. So I go and pull out some money from an ATM. I come back, and pay the registration fee, then when I try to pay cash for the classic plates fee, they say "oh, we can't take cash for that, only check or money order". So then I have to leave again to go by a money order.

And through all of this, it took everyone in there, and them making about 10 phone calls for them to figure out how to let me use my classic plates.

i dont know how it is in other states, but in ohio, the counties make the rules regarding motor vehicle registration. my 65 hadnt been registered since 1984. original title (in my sisters maiden name) is in my posession.we go to the title office to have a new one made up. (im not giving up the old title, we just pretend it has been lost) ohio keeps a copy of all titles issued in any given county, but the clerk tells us that any master title that remains inactive for 10 years is destroyed... BUT, my sister can get insurance on the car, bring proof back down, and a new title will be issued. this is with no proof of vin numbers or anything (i really wanted to make it a k code car at this point!) i make a quick phone call to the deputy registrar, who is a friend of my wife, she calls the state capitol, and i have a new title in my hand the next day (in my sisters name) she signs off on it, trip to the title office, bingo, car in my name.cool part is i still have the original title from 1977 in my cars build book.

Yeah, I feel your pain, my truck is in AZ and I'm not, so when my brother is going to get it registered so that I can drive it back home, they tell him you need this.. He gets this, then goes back and they tell him you need that... He gets that and goes back, then they tell him you need this over here... so forth and so on, this has been going on since January 31st and he just today told me about it. I looked online and I can do all of it there. :bang:

There's a song out there by Primus with the line in it "I've been to hell and they call it the DMV"

Did you (oops, I meant your brother :p )still have to run it through the smog test? Or does he live outside of Maricopa and Pima Counties? (No smog tests anywhere else in the state :banana: )

Often it's really great to live in "rural Arizona". Thanks to "servicearizona.com" I may never have to see the inside of that Godforsaken Cathedral of Doom and Despair (aka the MVD) until the year 2027! :nice: :nice: :nice:

EDIT: And when that time comes I think I'll just pass the time on those hard plastic PITA waiting room chair by playing with my homegrown version of the "Rodex 5000"! That ought to move things along a little more quickly :D

another nice thing about arizona is that if your car is a 1966 or older car, you dont need to go through emissions and can register the car for 2 years, by mail, online, in person if you so choose(very easy there too as you actually register online using their computer, then you get your tags straight away).

Not a registration issue but still frustrating.

When my son went to get his learner's permit, we took all the necessary paper work with us. The lady at the DMV counter says that the doctor forgot to sign the birth certificate. :mad: I was so tempted to just walk out the front door, whip out the pen and scribble something on it, but decided that wouldn't be a good example for my son, so we drove 20 something miles to the county court house to get a duplicate birth certificate and drive back to the DMV.

I'm glad I have AAA for all other DMV related issues. :bs:

rbohm: Neither of our 2002 1/2-ton pickups have been through emissions yet. For that matter, we haven't thought about emissions - testing a vehicle since Mrs StDr's '86 Tempo went through its second year (first year was with the salesman for Jim Click Ford) in March of '87 - and it failed! Limped it through the second time on a "conditional waiver" of some sort. By the time March '88 came around, we were living in Yuma, away from the Phoenix-Tucson metroplex. When I told our neighbor (who unlike me never left Yuma) about failing the smog test in a year-old car; he wanted to know what a smog test was. :lol:

I'll just keep paying my $5.44 "Rural County ETB" (I swear that stands for "Emissions Testing Bribe"); thank you very much!

Did you (oops, I meant your brother :p )still have to run it through the smog test? Or does he live outside of Maricopa and Pima Counties? (No smog tests anywhere else in the state :banana: )

Often it's really great to live in "rural Arizona". Thanks to "servicearizona.com" I may never have to see the inside of that Godforsaken Cathedral of Doom and Despair (aka the MVD) until the year 2027! :nice: :nice: :nice:

EDIT: And when that time comes I think I'll just pass the time on those hard plastic PITA waiting room chair by playing with my homegrown version of the "Rodex 5000"! That ought to move things along a little more quickly :D

:rlaugh: The homemade StDrm 5000 would definitely help with the "crowds" in the MVD to disperse. :D

As far as the truck it's a 97 F250 crewcab 4x4, which passed smog being cleaner than a newer car, so no problem there. :D When I was living in Southern Oregon, they had I&M (smog checks) in town, but not where I was at and there were people out where I lived that looked at you like you were speaking Greek when you mentioned smog checks.

rbohm: Neither of our 2002 1/2-ton pickups have been through emissions yet. For that matter, we haven't thought about emissions - testing a vehicle since Mrs StDr's '86 Tempo went through its second year (first year was with the salesman for Jim Click Ford) in March of '87 - and it failed! Limped it through the second time on a "conditional waiver" of some sort. By the time March '88 came around, we were living in Yuma, away from the Phoenix-Tucson metroplex. When I told our neighbor (who unlike me never left Yuma) about failing the smog test in a year-old car; he wanted to know what a smog test was. :lol:

I'll just keep paying my $5.44 "Rural County ETB" (I swear that stands for "Emissions Testing Bribe"); thank you very much!

yeah, but then you live out in the sticks:rlaugh: :rlaugh:
i know that emissions testing is only required in maricopa and pima county these days, though it used to be required statewide at one time.

oh and i dont have to pay the extra "emissions testing bribe" :p:p :rlaugh: :rlaugh: