Exhaust and gears on an AOD

Here's a Magnaflow X-Pipe 2-1/2" Fox Body exhaust for ya:

Not cheap but it is stainless and very nicely done up. This does come with both cats, too.

Summit Racing is showing a $75 rebate:

I have a 2-1/2" H-Pipe system on my '67 Coupe with 1990 5.0 roller motor. It sounds very throaty and is only boomy at higher rpm. I do want to put an AOD in it or maybe even a 4RW70 with stand-alone electronic controller. Been thinking about 3.55's to go with the overdrive transmission, for relaxed highway cruising and keeping the rpm down around 1800 or less. It'll have a real good hole-shot then!

My '67 had an even taller gear ratio than yours when I got it, a 2:48 Ford 9" out of a Lincoln Versaiiles. I replaced the "punkin" and got 3.00 gears which are definitely better for acceleration, but they do run about 2600-2700 at 60+ and then the Magnaflows get a bit intrusive.

Sounds like 3.73's might do the trick for you. If you find those gears don't have enough 'dig' for you, you could go with a shorter tire in the back to adjust. Conversely, if you were to get the 4.10 gears, and they were too much for you, go with a slightly taller tire.

Hope that helps and Good Luck with the build........ed

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Here's a Magnaflow X-Pipe 2-1/2" Fox Body exhaust for ya:

Not cheap but it is stainless and very nicely done up. This does come with both cats, too.

Summit Racing is showing a $75 rebate:

I have a 2-1/2" H-Pipe system on my '67 Coupe with 1990 5.0 roller motor. It sounds very throaty and is only boomy at higher rpm. I do want to put an AOD in it or maybe even a 4RW70 with stand-alone electronic controller. Been thinking about 3.55's to go with the overdrive transmission, for relaxed highway cruising and keeping the rpm down around 1800 or less. It'll have a real good hole-shot then!

My '67 had an even taller gear ratio than yours when I got it, a 2:48 Ford 9" out of a Lincoln Versaiiles. I replaced the "punkin" and got 3.00 gears which are definitely better for acceleration, but they do run about 2600-2700 at 60+ and then the Magnaflows get a bit intrusive.

Sounds like 3.73's might do the trick for you. If you find those gears don't have enough 'dig' for you, you could go with a shorter tire in the back to adjust. Conversely, if you were to get the 4.10 gears, and they were too much for you, go with a slightly taller tire.

Hope that helps and Good Luck with the build........ed
Thanks Ed ! Lots of good info and to think about.

Hey. I see you are from Long Island. Where bouts? I grew up in New Hyde Park but now live out in Miller Place in Suffolk County. I’ve owned my 87 GT since the late 90’s. I’ve got 4.10’s in mine, but it’s a 5 speed manual T5. It’s a blast. Don’t know where you are bringing your car to have the work done, but I recommend Mustang Magic out in Deer Park. Good guys. They are very knowledgeable about our cars.

Anyway, really nice notch. Good luck with it.

Reactions: 1 user
I should’ve mentioned, I have a Mac ProChamber H pipe and MAC exhaust as well. Old school Fox Body sound and makes a little more power than the Flowmaster setup with a little less drone. At least that was what the previous owner, Joe, at Mustang Magic told me back in the late 90’s when the exhaust was done.

Those were a few of the first mods I did. Gears and exhaust.

Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a nice set of subframe connectors to stiffen the car up before you start any real performance mods. Our cars are notoriously flexible. You’ll thank me later.

I should’ve mentioned, I have a Mac ProChamber H pipe and MAC exhaust as well. Old school Fox Body sound and makes a little more power than the Flowmaster setup with a little less drone. At least that was what the previous owner, Joe, at Mustang Magic told me back in the late 90’s when the exhaust was done.

Those were a few of the first mods I did. Gears and exhaust.

Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a nice set of subframe connectors to stiffen the car up before you start any real performance mods. Our cars are notoriously flexible. You’ll thank me later.
Hey thanks very much for your input! Although I picked out the system and gears to be installed I still have time to make changes and that’s why I’m trying to pick guys minds. I’m just hoping I didn’t make a mistake because once it’s done, it’s done as they say. Would cost to much to reverse it. Lol
My concern is that the X pipe with the super 44 and 4:10s may be ridiculous loud. I want loud but not obnoxious. All the reading I do comes up with basically a 50/50 split opinion. I’m not quick to change my mind either because I am also very concerned about making a change and then it’s to quiet. Lol that’s why I was real curious to hear from guys with this type of setup but i guess at the end of the day I’m gonna roll out with what I picked and be happy. It’s not a DD so if it’s a bit louder than I wanted then i guess that’s fine also but the neighbors will have to get use to me coming home late sometimes. Haha
Thanks for hitting me up and taking the time to explain. I’m right next door from where you grew up. I’m in Floral Park, originally from Queens. Maybe we will run into one another on a nice summer night with the Stangs during one of the parking lot meets. Glad to hear you like the 4:10 btw! That’s on my mind also if maybe 3:73 would be better but I have an AOD so following more of what’s said about 4:10s for the AOD. Mustang Magic will be doing my work. This is my fist time there. I have spoken to them a bunch of times and have been to the shop and they have been top notch! Everyone there is great so I’m excited to have them do my work and everyone always recommends them. Thanks for that recommendation as well!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend

Hey thanks very much for your input! Although I picked out the system and gears to be installed I still have time to make changes and that’s why I’m trying to pick guys minds. I’m just hoping I didn’t make a mistake because once it’s done, it’s done as they say. Would cost to much to reverse it. Lol
My concern is that the X pipe with the super 44 and 4:10s may be ridiculous loud. I want loud but not obnoxious. All the reading I do comes up with basically a 50/50 split opinion. I’m not quick to change my mind either because I am also very concerned about making a change and then it’s to quiet. Lol that’s why I was real curious to hear from guys with this type of setup but i guess at the end of the day I’m gonna roll out with what I picked and be happy. It’s not a DD so if it’s a bit louder than I wanted then i guess that’s fine also but the neighbors will have to get use to me coming home late sometimes. Haha
Thanks for hitting me up and taking the time to explain. I’m right next door from where you grew up. I’m in Floral Park, originally from Queens. Maybe we will run into one another on a nice summer night with the Stangs during one of the parking lot meets. Glad to hear you like the 4:10 btw! That’s on my mind also if maybe 3:73 would be better but I have an AOD so following more of what’s said about 4:10s for the AOD. Mustang Magic will be doing my work. This is my fist time there. I have spoken to them a bunch of times and have been to the shop and they have been top notch! Everyone there is great so I’m excited to have them do my work and everyone always recommends them. Thanks for that recommendation as well!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend
I’m in Hauppauge between the two of you. Looking forward to a good year for shows !
Hopefully I get mine finished up and back on the road by the summer!