Exhaust GLOWS red from heat help???

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
ok, i can't figure out what the problem is, but it's a new one, here are the changes.

1. put in new crossmember and properly hung my mid pipe and added flows.

2. MY procomp hei dizzy had been sitting high befor but now has fallen into place so my dizzy has been moved

3. fixed some of the vac lines tring to find a leak due to car idleing high

4. I moved the mixture screws on the carb tring to fix the idle, have no idea how to set it

5. Installed fuel regulator

car now idles fine but after about a 1 min of running the cat on the passenger side starts to glow red, i need help thanks

car is a 85, 5.0, former cfi car, installed intake, edel 600 carb and procomp hei dizzy, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

why would it just go bad like that, it was running fine befor i messed with the a/f on the carb and the moving the timing, the h pipe has the 4 differnt things in it, the 2 that are right off the headers and the 2 that are farther back, i thought the two that are more back were the cats, and it's the part right off the header that heats up, i'm thinking it's the timing cuz it pops while it runs and gives a backfire when i turn it off, i think i have to reset the timing how that it moved

The reason its just the cat on that one side glowing red is because it is bad. It hasn't got to the point where its completely burnt out and rattling (like mine) but its restricting the air flow down that side, which means its getting really hot causing it to glow red. Not to mention its probably not doing anything good for your power.

it don't make sence for the cat to go bad that fast, it's not been a problem till i messed with the a/f on the carb and my dizzy droped, i'm going to reset them both tonight and see what i come up with, if all eles fails i'll start looking for a new cat back, but with it poping and giving a back fire i'm mostly sure it's the timing and the fuel

it could very well be the timing or A/F but im seriously doubting that and hes cats will all of a sudden go bad it happens to pretty much everyone some time or another and it is showing all the symptoms of the cat being bad.

it don't make sence for the cat to go bad that fast, it's not been a problem till i messed with the a/f on the carb and my dizzy droped, i'm going to reset them both tonight and see what i come up with, if all eles fails i'll start looking for a new cat back, but with it poping and giving a back fire i'm mostly sure it's the timing and the fuel

billison said:

if you had it too rich for a while, you could have dumped fuel into the cat(s) and it will burn in them, causing damage.

it only makes sence that i messed with teh a/f and the ti ming when i did'nt need to and now i have this problem, i got a good idea of how to set the carb and i just need to get my timing light to work and i'll set the timing and if that don't fix it we'll talk about a bad cat

What makes sense to me, is like you had said, start with what you had messed with first and then you to the next point. It does sound to me that you have had a cat go bad. Your exhaust can't run through it and there for your header it glowing red. When I did my exhaust, I got two aftermarket high flow cats and was very surprised in how cheap they were. They where from dynomax and if I remeber right, they might of been 30 or 40 bucks a piece. Good luck.

aight u can tippie toe around it all u want but im pretty sure its the cat and it doesnt have to give a warning that its going bad lol does anything give a warning on a mustang? no lol.