Exhaust GLOWS red from heat help???

ok, pardon the pic, but what do i use to judge the timing, do i use the thing that kinda looks like a arrow "1" the thing that looks like a inverse arrow "2" or the hole "3" and i want to have it at 13* right, like where i have the other arrow? what sucks is as soon as i got it there it ran outta gas, so one your guys confirm or not that i've timed it right and i get gas i'll know,

View attachment 433764

• Sponsors (?)

795.0pacecar said:
Glowing red is not a lean condition, look it up.

Correct. If a test is required for proof, just pull your PCV line off of the manifold and crank the car over to let it idle. You'll have an 8 tube flashlight in no time.

The easiest way to tell if it's the cat is to get a heat gun, the ones with a laser pointer. Take a temp before and after the cat see how bad it changes. From the diagram you've drawn it looks as if your at 30+ advanced in timming? peace

john:p

no offense to anyone but ignore everything just about everyone has said, if your cat glows one cat and only the cat, it is definatly the cat becomming clogged. after i did my HCI swap this happend, drilled it out then it was fine, since then i've swapped an offroad x onto the thing and it works great. its just your cat no worries mate!
If it was timing related the issue would be at the headers as mentioned, if it was fuel.. same thing

gt40_2003wes said:
umm no offense to u either but just about everyone that has said something mentioned that it is probably the cat.

no offense, but i even said i thought it was the cat, I still have to get my timing and a/f back to where it was, thanks for the help guys, i'll put gas in it later and double check the timing and go from there, i'll post agian tonight

billison said:
no offense, but i even said i thought it was the cat, I still have to get my timing and a/f back to where it was, thanks for the help guys, i'll put gas in it later and double check the timing and go from there, i'll post agian tonight

If money's an issue like it is for most of us, you can always hollow out the cats in your stock h-pipe. I've usually had to cut the pipe to get to one of the cats, and weld it back together, but you might find a way around that. Get a big hammer and a big pry bar or something.

Jeff

i'm broke like a joke, so once i get gas in her and double check the timing if it's still doing it, it'll wait a week till i start my head gaskets and i'll get to it then, i hope it's not the cat but i'm mostly sure it is, kinda sucks.

I don't have a welder so i have to get a new H or X pipe, and i want to keep the cats so i can pass emissions, do i have to worry about it if i get a hiflow H/X pipe?

you have to have cats, if you get in inspector witha strick up his @$$ he'll nab you for even th cat going bad!
I went on summit picked up some cheapo high flow cats and had them welded onto my x-pipe cheaper then buying one with cats on it already...

do you live in VA?? if so i have a loophole for you

i live in Illinois but we don't do the inspection, just the sniffer, don't pop the hood, don't look under it, nuttin, just check the gas cap and put ya on the dyno

Could a clogged cat lower gas mileage? I noticed at least one of my cats glowing while in the process of tuning things up in an effort get my gas mileage back up (currently 13mpg in city on a basically stock motor at the time).

Thanks,

George

I'm tring to look around for a cat replacement and i think it'd like to get something that'll be more than just a stock replacement, something that'll add some power and give it a better sound, but i GOT TO STAY CHEAP, so i'm thinking about doing the summit thing and get them welded in, any other ideas? thanks for the help guys