EXHAUST LEAK. HELP!

go4gold

May 24, 2011
Alright.

So i had my BBK Shorty Headers put on at a local and reputable shop about a year, maybe a year and a half ago.
They've been running great (besides the blown head gasket...but that's another load of ****). But recently i've noticed a horrible smell and an extremely loud sound coming from under the car, seems to be around the area where the exhaust pipe meets with the end of the header. It makes the car sound like a damn lawn mower. Its like a popping almost when i push the exhaust. There's a loud "pop pop pop pop" sound when i press the pedal to the floor, and theres also like a loud ticking noise (could be unrelated).
I went to the Tuffy store near where i work and they basically told me i had a cracked header that needed to be replaced. I immediately called bull****. A cracked header in only a year? I have a hard time believing that. Not to mention i haven't even been driving it that much because of the blown head gasket!
I was thinking it was probably more common to have a leak at the JOINT where the header meets the actual exhaust pipe. Has anyone had this happen?
The guy there told me that was a welded joint between the exhaust pipe and the header...but when i bought the headers and they state that they are "bolt on" headers.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Any and all speculation is helpful. thanks!

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Commenting on the popping noise, all i have to say is that its probably just the motor. Did you have the muffler cut out and staight pipe it or did you just replace the headers. If you cut out the muffler that is the source of the popping noise because i know from personal experience, and also the check the flange that is about in the middle of your exhaust line( righ below the drivers seat on the bottom of the car) because the flange may be broke or leaking and it needs repaired, that is a very common problem with the ford flange is it rust away. Thats all i have for you.