Exhaust leak maybe?

gibson89LX

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2002
Brunswick, OH
At about 1700RPM, and only on slight accelleration, my car has either a click or a hiss. It sounds like a combination of valve chatter and a vacuum leak. It goes away the more you hit the gas. If you punch it you can't hear it at all. But on those 4th gear 35-45mph slow accels you can really hear it. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

My 01 had a similar noise. I think I determined it to be a coil pack. Take a large screwdriver and put the plastic part to your ear and the metal end on various parts and see if you can hear where its coming from.

2001 Geee T said:
My 01 had a similar noise. I think I determined it to be a coil pack. Take a large screwdriver and put the plastic part to your ear and the metal end on various parts and see if you can hear where its coming from.
Don't think that's a good thing to do while the car is moving :p It only does it under load.
I have a stethoscope for that anyways :)

gibson89LX said:
At about 1700RPM, and only on slight accelleration, my car has either a click or a hiss. It sounds like a combination of valve chatter and a vacuum leak. It goes away the more you hit the gas. If you punch it you can't hear it at all. But on those 4th gear 35-45mph slow accels you can really hear it. Any ideas?

ok that is just about impossible too diag over the computer. if you were local i would try and help

yeah, it's really strange. The noise changes with the weather and temperature of the engine too. Sometimes it sounds like a hiss sometimes it sounds like a tick. I've boiled it down to exhaust or ignition though.
Oh, am I retarded because I don't see the coils or plugs? Or are they under the valve cover?

gibson89LX said:
I don't see the coils or plugs? Or are they under the valve cover?

the coils are located right next too the injectors at the outer edge of the intake manifold right next too each injector (they are round at the top and black with a connector on each one) ( the plugs are on top of our motors not on the sides like a 5.0)

and the plugs are under each coil. the coil is held on by a 7mm bolt.

Ahh, I see them now. Neat idea actually, putting them inline with the injectors.
Anywho, I have narrowed it down to the passenger bank. I still can't tell where it's coming from though. When it's at idle and I rev it all I hear is the CHUUH of the throttle from my air intake. I only hear it while driving.

Also, I'll most likely be doing a tuneup in the coming weekends here. Should I use the 5w20 like the manual recommends or should I use something else? I'll be using motorcraft plugs, clean the air filter, change the oil with royal purple,
Anything else you guys recommend with a tuneup? I'm used to doing cap/rotor/wires but none of that stuff here :p I'm not going to purge the coolant system or do drivetrain fluids at this point though.