Exhaust Rattle..

May 20, 2005
Arkansas
Today I decided to fix a couple tiny exhaust leaks on my car.. Well, after I put my SLP X-pipe back on my car (Connected the race pipes to the headers and the x-pipe to the race pipes.. then connected it to the catback) I took it for a drive, no leaks, nothing.. Altho I did notice the car acting funny.. Well, right as I got home, I pulled over to get the mail and then I heard this awful sound coming from the underside of my car.. It was a horrible rattling sound that kept getting louder and louder.. I can't seem to pinpoint it to any particular spot.. it does it on both sides of the x-pipe all the way down.. It starts right where the race pipes meet the headers and doesn't seem to go away til the mufflers..

Would anyone have any suggestions on this?

I got everything as tight as possible when I put it all back together but it seemed to get a rattle after about a 10 mile drive.

Help me out :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similar problem, but mine was mixed w/ a leak sound as well....i didn't have the little flange gasket in the correct way....but I have shorties....don't think you will have that problem w/ the long tubes

i want long tubes

i hate you

way to go n00b! :lol:

might be a shot in the dark, but check the tailpipe hangers. there's usualy a little rubber piece that keeps it from moving around but mine happened to fall off and rattled like crazy, even at idle.

two things to try...

1. neaturize the exhaust.. you do this by loosening everything except the header flanges obviously. and you get it into position and then tighten eveerything up a little at a time.

2. if you have chambered mufflers make sure a plate did not break off inside one.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. But after messing with my exhaust all night last night and all day today, I gave up on it lol.. I think I am going to take it to an exhaust shop and let them fix it.

I would do it myself, but I feel like i've spent more time on my back underneath the car than is worth it.. I ache and I can't get enough force on anything to make a difference.. and with a lift and the exhaust shop I go to, then that guy can definately find the problem and fix it.

But I will mention to him these suggestions.

And yes.. I do have chambered mufflers :(

Oh yeah, Stang|ess.. you're late, you never came and took my soul today.. are you running behind? :shrug:

i took it while you took your morning poop. your butthole is so huge, you never even noticed me stealing it :eek:

did you give the tailpipes a once over? let your car idle with the AC on and see if you can hear the noise.

Stang|ess said:
i took it while you took your morning poop. your butthole is so huge, you never even noticed me stealing it :eek:

did you give the tailpipes a once over? let your car idle with the AC on and see if you can hear the noise.

I actually haven't been back outside to check it since I started this thread lol.. But yeah, it was a HUGE rattle.. with a/c on or not :(

Wait.. that's how you took my soul?... DAMN IT! You caught me off guard :(

Pennywise2 said:
This isn't the first time I heard of people having issues
with SLP exhaust products.
SLP products belong on a LT1 truck with no mufflers
on tuesday. :notnice:

lol.. well, the x-pipe never had any issues on helty's car.. and never had any problems until today. In all honesty, I think it was installer error lol.. I probably overlooked something :( lol

jasonh_86 said:
lol.. well, the x-pipe never had any issues on helty's car.. and never had any problems until today. In all honesty, I think it was installer error lol.. I probably overlooked something :( lol
That sucks mang. :(
How was the fitment with the SLP X pipe Jason?
My Bassani X pipe fit like a glove lol.
Does your car sound like it has a exhaust leak Jason?

in all honesty SLPs stuff is higher quality than any other exhaust product Ive worked with. Fitment better than Bassani, welds cleaner than Kooks.....their resonators may sound like **** on our cars but quality is best Ive seen.