Exhaust Rattle..

stangGT97 said:
how does that help anything?

Jason, any update for us? You might have just snapped a hanger

No update yet sir!.. Later this afternoon I am taking it to an exhaust shop (as previously stated). I am tired of messing with it and laying on my back on the ground trying to fix it.

But after they figure out what it is, I will let you guys know :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

jasonh_86 said:
No update yet sir!.. Later this afternoon I am taking it to an exhaust shop (as previously stated). I am tired of messing with it and laying on my back on the ground trying to fix it.

But after they figure out what it is, I will let you guys know :nice:

yeah man, exhaust shop is the way to go. I love working on my car but laying on my back gets old after about 30min/2burns, whichever comes first. I still have the outline of my cat heatshield burnt into my right arm, its been there for over a year. On a related note, I am also having an exhaust leak problem - X pipe is leaking where the crossover bolts to the cat-legs, so I need to buy new clamps and have the shop reinstall the pipe.

It should turn out just peachy Jason. I had hardcore fittment issues when we installed my catback, it rattled and rubbed everywhere. We beat the hell out of that thing to try stop it from rattling and rubbing on either the frame, fuel/brake lines, or control arms, and finally gave in and brought it to an exhaust shop. $10 and 10 minutes later I left the place with a rub/rattle free exhaust system. They were going to do it for free but I forced them to take some compensation!

Dusstbuster said:
It should turn out just peachy Jason. I had hardcore fittment issues when we installed my catback, it rattled and rubbed everywhere. We beat the hell out of that thing to try stop it from rattling and rubbing on either the frame, fuel/brake lines, or control arms, and finally gave in and brought it to an exhaust shop. $10 and 10 minutes later I left the place with a rub/rattle free exhaust system. They were going to do it for free but I forced them to take some compensation!

Sweet!

Good to hear from ya man.. let me know when those cams go in! :nice:

Will do! Kinda funny, I got home from work and started cleaning my car, got to the tailpipe and the whole thing moved....somehow it had popped out of the muffler. Had to jack the car up and weld it back on really quick before I headed off to my other job.

jasonh_86 said:
lol.. well, the x-pipe never had any issues on helty's car.. and never had any problems until today. In all honesty, I think it was installer error lol.. I probably overlooked something :( lol

It must be slp products cause i had a huge exhaust leak because my studs were not long enough so i put longer ones in and fixed the exhaust leak problem. And now i still have a slight leak which im going to fix tomorrow by tightening it all up tomorrow. But i think i have an exhaust rattle as well im kinda scared that it sounds like knocking. I get this sound kinda under load. I dunno if its pinging though because im running 93 octane stock tune and stock timing took off the intake to make sure it wasnt leaning out the system and its still making the noise and im only running exhaust mods.

THE NOISE IS GONE!!! :banana: :banana:

I don't know what it was, but I started driving the route I took whenever the noise started.. I hit a few bumps and the noise started slowly fading away after that.. It was the weirdest thing ever. It hasn't come back or anything! :)

wish i could do that with my car but it wont go away and im worried mine is knock which would really suck but on the other hand i started look at new short blocks incase it does blow lol. Mine does it when i have load on the motor and my long term fuel trims are +5 on bank 1 and +9 on bank 2 so i know there is some sort of leak.

i recently put a Pypes x-o/r on my 00 GT and there was an exhaust leak right off the bat and everything was tight. 2-3 weeks later i was reving my motor standing on the pass. side and noticed a super loud leak. got underneath and saw 1 nut was gone and the other was half way off. then i double nutted the exhaust where it meets the manifold. then some other guys said that the passenger side has problems staying tight with after market exhaust.

jasonh_86 said:
THE NOISE IS GONE!!! :banana: :banana:

I don't know what it was, but I started driving the route I took whenever the noise started.. I hit a few bumps and the noise started slowly fading away after that.. It was the weirdest thing ever. It hasn't come back or anything! :)
I'll bet a catback leg was rubbing the subframe somewhere. I get the same noise in the hot weather months.

Well.. The noise actually came from somewhere around the header collector and the race pipe that goes over the collect. this part right here..

DSC00206.jpg

Not sure why or what was up, but it decided to go away! :)

But you were somewhat right with a problem I had until then.. Whenever I would sit at an idle, the car would shake because of the cams, then i'd hear this awful clunking sound.. turns out one of my mufflers was hitting the underside of my car due to not being positioned correctly.. But I fixed that :nice:

Attachments

• DSC00206.jpg
    DSC00206.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 28