Exhaust Rattling

95GTV8

Jul 25, 2005
Washington State
I'm having fitment difficulties with my new Borla catback I installed. The passenger side tail pipe is not quite flush with the driver pipe, and a result it will rattle sometimes. I'm positive the problem lies within the passenger side tailpipe because when I shake the driver side tailpipe I don't hear any rattles, but when I shake the driver side tailpipe side to side I can hear it rattle. I've secured the exhaust system as it should be secured with the two hangers and I've spent hours trying to make the exhaust tips line up and eliminate the rattling. I cannot figure the problem out, and it's making driving my car a chore. I'm wondering if anybody has any tips? I seem to be out of room on both sides for any adjustments by pushing the exhaust pipes closer to the H-pipe. Any help would be immensely appreciated as I'm real bummed out.

• Sponsors (?)

Check to see where its hitting. Mine was real close to the gas tank (IIRC), and i had to make a few adjustments before it would fit.

EDIT: Actually, after reading Hissin's post, it was the frame rail that was touching.

The two spots I've had interferance issues is at the passenger frame rail and at the DS itself. Both are worth checking. When you check it out, you will want the car at ride height because the geometry changes if you jack the body up.

Good luck.

allright, but once I find the spot where it's hitting what are my options regarding fixing it? I don't have much mobility side to side in moving my exhaust pipes. Thanks!

I was able to loosen my cat-back at the H-to-flowtube connection and rotate the catback. If I went one way, my muffler would scrape the DS. If I went too far the other way, the tailpipe would hit the frame rail. Without bending the pipes, there wasnt much I could do but it worked alright if I was about to hit the frame rails. I adjusted it like that and insulated the frame so when the tails touched it, it would not transmit noise. It seemed to work decently.

Good luck.

What did you use to insulate the frame rails? It just seems that a Borla catback should fit properly without rattling and the tips should line up.

You don't want to know. :D
It was shadetreeing at it's finest.

I agree that your system should fit mint. For instance, were my flowtubes, mufflers and tails all not welded together (but rather clamped), I could have rotated the mufflers and tails separately and not had to screw around.

I tacked a high-density woven rubber strip to the frame rail. The strip is about 1/2" thick (it looks a lot like the straps you get with some part's store muffler hangers. The ones where there's a straight metal bracket, and one end that's bent kinda like a C. It's meant to hook to a conventional muffler clamp).

In my case, the strap came from my pile of (s)crap.

Good luck.