exhaust smell with heat

93PONY

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
pensylvania
hey guys i need help i have exhaust leaking into my car and i cant figure out how or where. it only happens when i have the heat or defrost on. i pluged up all of the holes in my car so i cant figure this one out. is my heater core going bad?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure its not a coolant smell?

I've been sitting here trying to think of what would be different with the heater vs. A/C or just the vent. They both take in air from the same place so that's not it.

It's probably a heater core. I can't think of any way exhaust fumes could get in only when the heater is on.

its definatly exhaust, i just upgradeed my exhaust but if there was a leak i woul smell it all the time. but i only get it when the heater/blower is on, its enough to make ya feel all goofy (not good). where does it suck all the air from ill start from there

93PONY said:
its definatly exhaust, i just upgradeed my exhaust but if there was a leak i woul smell it all the time. but i only get it when the heater/blower is on, its enough to make ya feel all goofy (not good). where does it suck all the air from ill start from there
the cowl in front of the windshield, However my money is on coolant smell/bad heater core.

Dr.

Think about what the good doctor just told you. The air intake for climate control is outside the car, in front, just below the windshield. Now unless you've got a set of zoomies sticking out of the hood, there really isn't any way for exhaust fumes to enter through there. Also note that the vent, A/C, and all non-heater related climate control functions draw air in through that vent as well and they share the same enclosure under the dash with just a flapper door to seperate hot from cold. Therefore, if you're huffing fumes when the heat is on and everything is fine when the heat is off, the problem lies specifically with the heater system.

Ethylene Glycol/Propylene Glycol (aka anti-freeze) fumes will make you just as loopy as exhaust gas if not more so. That stuff is bad juju for people and pets.