Experienced Classic Owners Please Read, First Time Owner Need Advice

heavyd22

Jul 15, 2010
This will be a little long. So, to set up my situation, I'm 30 years old and bought my first and only classic car in Jan 2011. I've always wanted a 68 fastback, but finally had the means to buy one. I drove it for less than a week and had an engine fire on the way home from work that burnt up the front half of the car before the fire truck could put it out. I noticed a burning smell and some smoke coming out from under the hood, so I immediately pulled over and called 911. So it's been over 1.5 years and as of today the car has been practically completely restored. I had a local guy with lots of muscle car experience do everything except body and paint. Basically everything up front has been replaced except for the suspension components.

I drove it off from my mechanics shop and it was doing fine for a few miles. This was the first time it's been on the highway as I just put tags on it today. So after some stop and go driving I noticed a burning smell and saw smoke coming from under the hood. I immediately pulled into a gas station and thought not again. The owner came out and looked at it. He noticed some brake fluid dripping down onto the pipes, not really anything else. After letting it sit for awhile I called my mechanic and told him I was bringing it right back. I made it back and didn't notice anymore smoke and the gauges were reading normally. He saw the brake fluid and told me he would check it all over again and drive it around some more. On a side note, it was raining and on my way back to his shop the wipers stopped working. He replaced all the wiring with an EZ system, so not sure what's going on there. At this point I think what's another few days after waiting this long.

Anyways, am I just paranoid based on what happened to me? I would like some insight from you guys with experience on what to expect, what to look out for, etc when driving your car. I bought this car to drive it, enjoy it and know that my family and I are safe in it. Right now I'm so afraid of what could happen that I can't even relax when driving it. Please tell me it gets better than this, because I would hate to think that I have to pull over every 10 minutes because something goes wrong. Thanks for any advice/help and have a great weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

on a fresh restoration you will get some smoke and burning smells such as paint ,new exhaust.
header paint will smell for quite a while .some exhaust pipes have a coating that takes a while to burn off. moter paint will smell at first .you should not have a brake fluid leak so check that . if every thing is new /fuel lines , i wouldnt worry to much .if it makes you feel beter at first carry a fire extinguisher with you . just keep an eye on things at first. there are usualy some small bugs that need to be worked out but usualy nothing to worry about . enjoy your new ride.

on a fresh restoration you will get some smoke and burning smells such as paint ,new exhaust.
header paint will smell for quite a while .some exhaust pipes have a coating that takes a while to burn off. moter paint will smell at first .you should not have a brake fluid leak so check that . if every thing is new /fuel lines , i wouldnt worry to much .if it makes you feel beter at first carry a fire extinguisher with you . just keep an eye on things at first. there are usualy some small bugs that need to be worked out but usualy nothing to worry about . enjoy your new ride.

T

As per the previous post, it normal to get a few unusal smells, etc when everything is new until it all settles in.
On your concern about feelin uneasy it may catch fire again, can I say these events are rare and you were just unlucky first time round. Chances it this hsppening again are very very very slim!

For piece of mind, can I suggest you invest in a $40 fire exstinguisher and keep it in the trunk. If it ever happens again ,u can simply put it out in minutes rather than calling a fire truck !

as the others said, with a new restoration there are always minor issues that need to be dealt with. and i also agree that car fires are rather rare, but i also suggest having a small fire extinguisher in the car just in case.

I'm starting a restoration, and drive the car here and there. I'm always worried about mine catching fire to. Now my three year old little girl says "daddy don't let the mustang catch on fire."
Fire extinguisher= peace of mind

No, you are not paranoid. The car is a death trap. You should just give it to me and I will take all the chances. Don't worry, I've got your back on this one.;)

Seriously, yes, you always need to keep an eye on things untill you work out the bugs and build some confidence in the car.