Exploding headlamps

livenfine

Jun 9, 2003
'90 GT. I replaced my passenger side headlight and within 2 weeks it was out again. I bought another and when I pulled the broken one, I discovered the bulb glass was shattered. I went ahead and swapped it and the same thing happened. Three different bulbs bought from 3 different places all with the same result.

I suspect some sort of current surge, anyone seen this problem???

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

When you install the replacement bulb (or is it a sealed beam?) are you touching that bulb with your fingers? If so then that's a no no. It'll crack em with regularity.

Does the headlight have any water in it? mine did and that kept blowing the bulbs if so you can drill some small holes in the top and bottom to vent water out.

My bet is there's water in it. Happened to two Tempo's I had and my Mustang. I just noticed my 98 GT has a tiny bit of water in it too. Time to fire up the drill and make a drain hole.

BTW you don't really need a hole on top just one on the bottom for the water to drain out. Obviously their is already a place water gets in. And the hole should be such as it would be hard for the water to be pushed in while drving in rain.

tjm73 said:
My bet is there's water in it. Happened to two Tempo's I had and my Mustang. I just noticed my 98 GT has a tiny bit of water in it too. Time to fire up the drill and make a drain hole.

BTW you don't really need a hole on top just one on the bottom for the water to drain out. Obviously their is already a place water gets in. And the hole should be such as it would be hard for the water to be pushed in while drving in rain.

What he said.

If you need to drill a drain hole -- Remove the headlamp housing by undoing 3 nuts from back of fiberglass bumper cover reinforcement. Drill the hole from the back bottom outside corner upwards into the cavity. Keep in mind the plastic is about 3/16" to 1/4" thick. If you don't have water actually puddled in there, pour a SMALL amount in and hold it level to check that it drains out completely; if not widen drain hole downward as necessary.

Very common problem. An even better way to deal with this is to remove the light, clean and dry the interior and seal the lense-to-body seam with clear sealant (clear Automotive Goop for example). Keeps the water out instead of worrying about draining it.

Thanks for the replies. I see water on the inside of my lens, I'm sure that's the problem. I'll pull the lens and see what can be done, (maybe I'll even polish the fog out of the lens as well :nonono: ) Thanks Stangnet! :nice:

once the light is sealed, i would try to seal up the drilled holes. i dont like any holes - if it is weather-tight, no drain should be needed. otherwise, condesation can do bad things to the lens and reflector.

my two cents. good luck.