Explorer 4.6 Engine Swap Question?

Jun 15, 2005
Ive heard that I will basically need to swap a bunch of things over.

Im wondering what people do with the accessories?

Ive heard that I need to use my timing chain cover and pulley setup....but does this mean I need to use my accessories or will the new stuff bolt on place?

• Sponsors (?)

You need to swap: YOUR timing cover, pulleys, coil pack brackets, cam covers, oil pan and pick up, dip stick tube, headers, upper intake plenum, oil filter housing, flywheel/clutch/flexplate (explorer/mounty engines have a 6 bolt so your ok). Thats about it. Real easy swap. remember that all the threads are aluminum so you may want to get your hands on a good METRIC tap set to chase all the threads to keep a mishap from happening.

Oh, use all YOUR old sensors too.

The explorer should have a pi intake but it does not have the heater core return line drill out. U can pull the intake and drill it or just run a hose up and T off one of the sensors in the cross over tube (ghetto but worked for me b/c I didn't notice the return not drilled till the motor ws ready to start.)

Thats about it. Might want to think about just getting all new gaskets and motor mounts as well. Good time to do it. Be sure to pre order all that stuff if you do as most places don't stock mod parts like they do pushrod parts.