• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Engine explorer gt40

  • Thread starter Thread starter afso
  • Start date Start date Sep 9, 2018
A

afso

Member
Aug 16, 2018
48
0
6
texas
Sep 9, 2018
#1
  • Sep 9, 2018
  • #1
ok got the intake all cleaned and painted it, looks ok, I also put the 65mm tb on it from the explorer, can I run the tb just like how it is on there or do I put my stock egr on there or do I buy get 65mm egr spacer, I also started working on the gt40 heads I,m going with the same color,im waiting on my trickflow springs and rollor rocker to come in, also does anyone have any suggestion on which cam would be good, thanks
 

Attachments

  • 0908182103d.webp
    100.7 KB · Views: 196

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Sep 9, 2018
#2
  • Sep 9, 2018
  • #2
anderson N41
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,324
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Sep 9, 2018
#3
  • Sep 9, 2018
  • #3
Stock EGR is too small you want a 70-75mm unit.
 
Reactions: General karthief
A

afso

Member
Aug 16, 2018
48
0
6
texas
Sep 10, 2018
#4
  • Sep 10, 2018
  • #4
ok but do I have to run a egr unit at all, iv seen pictures of people not running one just like mine in the picture, don't know if it matters but my whole smog system has been removed,thanks guys for any help
 

Attachments

  • 0908182103d.webp
    100.7 KB · Views: 219

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,048
10,671
213
polk county florida
Sep 10, 2018
#5
  • Sep 10, 2018
  • #5
No you don't have to run the egr, you will have to either make a bracket or buy a spacer that will let you bolt the accelerator bracket on. I did the spacer thing years ago, I put the egr back on, don't remember why.
It was a couple minutes ago.
I'm officially an 'old guy'
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,324
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Sep 10, 2018
#6
  • Sep 10, 2018
  • #6
You need to still buy the EGR spacer plate so you can bolt the throttle linkage support to it to hold the throttle cable.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-egr-delete-plate-billet-5-0l-1986-1993/p/HW2590-V/

The opening is 70MM so the 70mm unit should be fine
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Sep 12, 2018
#7
  • Sep 12, 2018
  • #7
Is the intake the 96- early 97 one that has the EGR port like the Mustang HO intake? If so, you might as well run the right size EGR spacer for the bracket to work.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Catch Can or not?
  • R82148V
  • Mar 4, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
420
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Mar 6, 2026
ctandc
C
T
Oil burning on my recently buil 302
  • The blk67
  • May 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
202
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 15, 2026
Noobz347
Engine EGR spacer for explorer 65mm TB?
  • 91GTstroked
  • Dec 31, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
416
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 31, 2024
Noobz347
X
Engine Brackets for Gt40 heads with ac and ps?
  • Xavierg208
  • Nov 14, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
447
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 16, 2025
limp
Engine Base Idle Reset-Accufab
  • 89notchDude
  • Jun 30, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
15
Views
735
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 22, 2025
Scrapla347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?