Explorer rear into 65 stang

zigmont

Mar 2, 2009
I am thinking about installing a 96 Explorer 8.8 rear into my 65 Fastback. I have heard that if you have 2 7/8 inches removed off the driver side axle tube it will center the pumpkin and you can use 2 passenger side axles in the rear end. I'm guessing I will have to relocate the spring perches to match the 65 rear. Can anyone think of why it would be a bad idea to do this swap? What will the length of the housing be after removing the 2 7/8 inches from one side?

• Sponsors (?)

I remeber looking into this and was just too much work when you can get another type to fit easier. But we were going to shorten it enough to put the pinion close to on-center, and use another explorer axle in the other side form another rear end

Do you have any pics? And maybe a ballpark cost for the swap.

I don't have any pics, but I was going to do this swap, and changed my mind because:

* I am going with a stock-width 8.8 out of a '94 Mustang because I am using '03 Mach 1 wheels, and they have a lot of offset/backspacing.

* The Mustang rearend is much lighter than the Explorer rearend

* The Explorer rearend I got has a tone ring for the ABS attached to the differential, so it's a bit non-standard, and I wanted to have the coicke of adding ABS at a later date

Here is what I came up with as far as cost:

Used 1997 Explorer rear axle assy, 3.73 locker, 31-spline, disk brakes $213.50

New Right side axle shaft from E-Bay $93.02

Labor to shorten the left side axle tube $100.00

M-4210-C Axle rebuild kit, side, pinion, axle brgs, axle seals, shims, sleeve $99.95

M-4700-C Differential Rebuild Kit $101.99

Rebuilt Calipers, R & L, Loaded $167.58

Rotors, R & L $57.78

Adjustable brake proportioning valve $60.00

LPW Racing Ultimate Axle Girdle $120.00

Ford Racing M-4209-F373N 3.73:1 Ring & Pinion gearset $149.00

New Rear stock ride height, stock rate leaf springs $157.95

Urethane Leaf Spring Bushings for new springs $39.95

Cal-Track traction bar kit $383.15

New Master Cylinder for 4-wheel disk brakes $45.04

U-Bolts, Shackles, Front Bolts, Spring Perches & Shock Plates $119.25

FRPP Friction Modifier $6.26

TOTAL: $1,914.42

Of course, you could probably do it a little cheaper, if you don't rebuild the traction lok, use whatever existing calipers, pads & rotors came on it and don't install new rear springs with urethane bushings and a set of Cal-Tracks on it; that would lower the total cost by around $900, but you WILL have to disassemble it to have the tube shortened (meaning you will need the crush sleeve, and while it's down, it's not a bad idea to replace the bearings).

And then there's the issue of the pinion flange--the Explorer comes with a large round flange, so you will either have to replace that with a standard one, or you will have to purchase an adapter to mate your existing rear U-Joint to the flat round flange. You may also have to have your driveshaft resized as well . . .

You also might not be able to find as good a deal I did (I'll be selling the one I have soon, hopefully for what I have invested in it thus far).