Explorer Upper And Lower Intake

Dart68

Jun 6, 2016
I have two questions I'm hoping y'all can help with.

1) I'm interested in buying a used explorer upper and lower but my research has found that there may be different versions of the intake. If true, which uppers and lowers do I want and what should I stay away from?

2) What is the going price? The one I'm interested in is listed for $120.

My car facts: '85 HB w/'86-'88 5.0 HO. Its unknown for sure what year the engine is but probably an '86 with a stock '88 FI SD swap. (I didn't do the swap) This car will be raced at the drag strip but must remain street/emission legal because I will be driving it to the track.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

There are two main versions. The early version had provisions for EGR, while the later doesn't. Pretty easy to visually tell them apart. There are minor differences between the two main versions such as vac line placement on the upper intake. Basically, the earlier the intake the easier the swap onto a Fox.

Easy way to determine which is EGR with part number is to look at the lower intake p/n. Look at bottom of this page.
http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/Ford_GT40_Cobra_Explorer_Intake_Design_Observations.pdf

explorer_uppers_underside-jpg.236624.jpg

I'd say $75-125 is going rate if it comes with the 65mm TB (can be modified to work on fox) and the 19# injectors which feature a better spray pattern. If intake only (no TB or injectors) then I'd say $75-100 is going rate.

They can be had cheaper if you go to a boneyard and pull them yourself. Honestly, they are pretty common, so no reason to jump on one if it's not the right one.

There are two main versions. The early version had provisions for EGR, while the later doesn't. Pretty easy to visually tell them apart. There are minor differences between the two main versions such as vac line placement on the upper intake. Basically, the earlier the intake the easier the swap onto a Fox.

Easy way to determine which is EGR with part number is to look at the lower intake p/n. Look at bottom of this page.
http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/Ford_GT40_Cobra_Explorer_Intake_Design_Observations.pdf

explorer_uppers_underside-jpg.236624.jpg

I'd say $75-125 is going rate if it comes with the 65mm TB (can be modified to work on fox) and the 19# injectors which feature a better spray pattern. If intake only (no TB or injectors) then I'd say $75-100 is going rate.

They can be had cheaper if you go to a boneyard and pull them yourself. Honestly, they are pretty common, so no reason to jump on one if it's not the right one.
Thank very much for the info! The intake for sale does not have the TB. Will my stock 5.0 TB work?

I forget the stock TB sizes, but 86 was something like 55mm and 87+ was 58mm? I could be wrong.

But basically I wouldn't pay much money for a stock 86-93 Mustang TB. I've purchased two different 65mm explorer TB's off ebay for $10 though