Export brace options...

xoxbxfx

Founding Member
May 9, 2001
Southlake, TX
Well, Im looking for a new export brace and was wondering if anyone has some opinions...

I could bet a chrome stock looking one but I was sorta looking at other options... StreetorTrack has a quick release one taht looks nice for $120...sorta steep but they dont ahve a matching export brace. Then there is good ole bend me over without the lube TCP and their slick looking setup... But isnt there another company that makes a TCP look a like setup for cheaper? Any other options?

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm....sorta looks cheap. dunno about it, just doesnt look nice.

this is the one from street or track.... its clean looking

bracebig.jpg

FastLane68 said:
What company had the one that was a combination export brace and shock tower brace and also connected to the radiator core support?

I think you are referring to the Total Control Products kits 1, 2 and 3.

Mustangs plus has a tubular one that combines the export brace and the MC bar into one unit. It is also designed to fit around an EFI intake, all for $199.00.

Whats wrong with just using a stock type MC bar and welding up a tubular export brace? I just got done doing this for my 68, it was pretty easy. Mine is not as flashy as the TCP, streetortrack, of MPG stuff. But hey form follows funds follows function.

I personally like the original black export brace and black monte carlo bar. Much cheaper and they look like they belong in the engine bay of a vintage Mustang. (lord knows that I have wasted a bunch of money on stuff I don't need for my car)

I doubt that any of the other stuff is any stiffer than a Ford Export Brace.

I normally wouldn't comment in a pricing discussion, but I hear tons of 'bend me over' and 'no lube' comments. I appreciate humor as much as the next guy but if you really take the time to do the comparison shopping, the price difference isn't as great as it initially appears.

Export Braces

MPG Heads Export Brace - $150 with straight pins, $200 as shown in photo. Sorry for the gigantic image. Its off MPG's server.
ShockTowerBrace.jpg

TCP Export Brace - $160
tcptb1.jpg

Mustangs Plus Billet Export Brace - $400!! Just had to throw this one in. :jaw:
10471lg.jpg

Monte Carlo Bars

Street or Track Monte Carlo - $120 Looks like a nice product, very clean. Unfortunately, no export brace available at this time.
bracebig.jpg

TCP Monte Carlo Bar - $120 Mounting position can be varied if necessary. This braces a larger area of the chassis by placing the monte carlo bar further forward than the standard braces.
63falcon,conv,red-04.jpg

Combination Braces

Mustangs Plus Export/Monte Carlo combo - $200 Sounds like a good deal. However all the braces are welded and cannot be removed to access header bolts, spark plugs, waterpump, etc. Their monte carlo bar shares the shock tower mounting plate and appears to mount behind the distributor. You may want to check to see if this works with the larger distributors or the Cobra oval air cleaner.
05804lg.jpg

MPG also has a combination export/monte setup. Would have posted a picture but the one of their site is over 500kb. Here a link, MPG Monte Carlo Bar modem surfers beware. This one also looks like it runs behind the distributor.
Cost - $100 So now we're at either $250 or $300

TCP Kit 3 - Sorry, no fancy name for this one. $115
tb_selection.jpg

So $395 for the whole TCP enchilada, but you can buy just the two for $280 or none of it. I'd say its one of the better looking kits, along with the Street or Track brace. Despite everyones comments I feel you get what you pay for.

This wasn't intended to be a sales pitch. That's not why I browse the forums. I tried to do the comparison as fairly as possible and I hope the information helps you to make the best decision for your particular project.

Whew... I feel better now.

Lino
TCP

psydwase:
first off that drilled aluminum abomination from M+ is the god awfull ugliest thing I have ever seen. I wouldn't put it on my car if you gave me the $400 and the export brace :)

I think you presented you argument very fairly especially considering the fact that you work for TCP. I think all of the afore mentioned kits are too expensive which is why I chose to make my own export brace and use a standard MC bar for $20.

The pricing of TCP products and especially Mustangs Plus are OUTRAGEOUS. Although I did notice that last time this subject came up coincided with TCP dropping many of their prices, coincidence, maybe. Regardless that subject could be its own thread. Prices should be whatever the market can bear and if guys can sell all you can make more power to ya. :nice:

ANyway the whole reason I started this reply is you say "Mounting position can be varied if necessary. This braces a larger area of the chassis by placing the monte carlo bar further forward than the standard braces" Why would you want to do this? I would think that everything forward of the shock towers serves only to hold up the fancy front end sheetmetal (save for the strut rods down low) and as far as the rigidity of the car and suspension you would want the MC bar as close to if not right on top of the load bearing shock tower?

You can email or PM me if you don't want to fill up this already hijacked thread.

Later,
Eric

Lino,

I love the comparison... I must agree, the TCP setup looks clean and would look great. Comparing it to the others in looks, you have NO competition in the style department. I looked and teh street or track price is the same as TCP's monte brace. I emailed Street Or Track and they said the will have a matching export brace by December sometime. I think Im going to wait till then and compare prices.

THanks for showing all the options..

Later
Tim

My thanks as well for showing us so many options. I like the TCP setup as well because if looks like it provides the best structural support but allows flexibility in the mounting psotion for the monte carlo bar. I also have a couple of issues I have to deal with as my 68 Fastback has a 5.0L intake to get around and I'm trying to fabricate a functional hood scoop intake to the MAF/throttle body assembly without using the cheap looking vaccum hose I've seen on other cars.

68rustang said:
"...placing the monte carlo bar further forward than the standard braces" Why would you want to do this?

In addition to supporting the shock towers from flexing towards each other the entire chassis is subjected to torque. Picture the firewall, inner fenders and radiator support as square. Its very easy to fold the square into a paralellogram (sp?) because there are no diagonal supports. Take the same square and add a few triangular braces now you have a much stronger structure.

The strut rod mounts sit forward of the shock towers. Any additional bracing given to any of the suspension mounts is good. Personally I would like to see additional braces from the base of the shock tower and the strut rod mount up to the export brace. Triangulate as much of the car as possible.

Psydwaze said:
The strut rod mounts sit forward of the shock towers. Any additional bracing given to any of the suspension mounts is good. Personally I would like to see additional braces from the base of the shock tower and the strut rod mount up to the export brace. Triangulate as much of the car as possible.

I fully understand triangulation as a means of strengthening the chassis. I am a mechanical engineer by education and trade. My question was referring to why would you move the export brace farther forward. A triangle is more rigid than a parallelogram but a small triangle is more rigid than a big one made of the same material. I would think you would want your MC bar as close to your load bearing points as possible (the tops of the shock tower). I also don't see how moving the MC bar forward is going to in anyway help with the strut rod mount without additional bracing. I am just curious since you guys use it as one of your "selling points" why you would want to do it.

Later,
Eric

i think they use it as one of their selling points because a) people listen to them and buy it and b) they don't know any better. the only real benefit of having it forward is for clearance such as a larger distributor or some other accessory. as far as i'm concerned(and many others) for the reasons mentioned above the ideal mounting point for a 'shock tower brace' is right in between the 'shock towers' or as close as possible without interference .. makes sense doesn't it?

thats pretty much what I was trying to get at. TCP stuff looks nice but really strikes me as little more than eye candy sometimes. They say it themselves "So $395 for the whole TCP enchilada... ...I'd say its one of the better looking kits..."

for the money tell me why it FUNCTIONS better.

until then I'll stick with my standard straight black MC bar for $19.95

Sorry for not jumping right back into the discussion. The flu had me home in bed yesterday. I'll be brief cause I really need to get some real work done and I'm just hoping to make it the rest of the day.

Our tower brace kit fits just about all combinations with the exception of an EFI intake. We design our products to 1) Do their job, 2) Install easily, 3) Be visually appealing. Part of shifting the monte carlo bar forward was to allow room for the larger distributors without putting a bend into the brace.

In all 'fairness' I'm not here preaching how our kit is better than all the others, its just another option. :)

Psydwaze said:
Our tower brace kit fits just about all combinations with the exception of an EFI intake. We design our products to 1) Do their job, 2) Install easily, 3) Be visually appealing. Part of shifting the monte carlo bar forward was to allow room for the larger distributors without putting a bend into the brace.

SO the TCP wil not clear the EFI? That sucks because it was my backup if my homemade job didn't work.

foghorn67 said:
xox:
don't you have your interior gutted. now would be the perfect time to do the TCP brace, if go that way. needs a reinforcing plate behind the firewall.

yeah...its totally gutted right now... I dont think Im going to use the TCP setup b/c my shocktowers might be coming out.... MII here I come :nice:

best way to settle the towers back to install brace

What is the best way to get the towers back forward as they typically settle back towards the firewall over time? I heard hanging the front end overnight should do it. Any suggestions?

ususally people dont have that problem... They have the problem where the monte carlo brace wont go in because over time the engine bay has gotten narrower. The way to fix that is to lift the front end up by the center fo the car and let the sides sag back into place. Dunno about your export brace problem...never heard anyone having that problem.