Extinguisher in your stang ?

• Sponsors (?)

If you want to see a factory fire hazard, pull the headlight switch pigail on any SN Mustang. 9 out of 10 look like they were left on the stove top.

If the fire extinguisher has a white faced gauge, it is not serviceable (refillable). If it has a red faced gauge, it is serviceable. Pictures for where I put mine. Not saying that a 5lb Badger will put out any fire, but it's a reasonably sized extinguisher.

Kurt

Attachments

• IMAG1084.jpg
    IMAG1084.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG1083.jpg
    IMAG1083.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Not this exact size but this style.
I replaced all the clamps and both lines just for peace of mind.
I used the same style clamp but the replacements are a little beefier and seem to fit better.
Amazon product ASIN B0040CU0JAView: https://www.amazon.com/XtremeAmazing-Replacemnt-Fuel-Injection-Clamps/dp/B0040CU0JA

I've never seen those fuel clamps do anything but snag a huge piece of rubber under the leading ride, and then drag it until the rubber of the hose splits. I've always had better luck with the cheap worm clamps.

Kurt

Hose wasn't split when I removed the clamps, the ones I put on are a little heavier and sized better.
I went down one size to get good clamping in the middle of their range, the old clamps were about at the
end of their range when tight.

I don't carry an extinguisher, but I do have 2 smoke detectors, 1 under the hood, and 1 inside the car. :hide:

In all seriousness I should carry one, I watched my 81 Black Magic Capri burn when I was 18, it was from hack wiring that my 18 year old self did.

I'm by no means a fuel system guru.
I have built one though.
And i can't think of any situation i would use what appears to be basic pipe clamps.
I don't really even trust them on my sprinkler system in my yard.

While i'm not a fan of wasting money on unnecessary fuel modding, i can't see myself using any type of clamp like that on a fuel line, so i would buy fuel rails and at least build the front half of the system. You can get adapters to connect it to the fuel lines at the spring loaded connections.

No insult intended and those might be safe and functional, but they are not for me.

I have used a fire extinguisher many times, luckily not on any fires I caused :jester: and I recommend paying attention to the rating and size of the extinguisher to make sure it is large enough and the right chemical for the type of fire you encounter, also consider the mess the chemical leaves behind, this dilemma prompts the question, what type of extinguishing agent would be recomended for say, a engine compartment fire? I suspect that would be the most common automotive fire.

I'm by no means a fuel system guru.
I have built one though.
And i can't think of any situation i would use what appears to be basic pipe clamps.
I don't really even trust them on my sprinkler system in my yard.

While i'm not a fan of wasting money on unnecessary fuel modding, i can't see myself using any type of clamp like that on a fuel line, so i would buy fuel rails and at least build the front half of the system. You can get adapters to connect it to the fuel lines at the spring loaded connections.

No insult intended and those might be safe and functional, but they are not for me.
The clamps are designed for use with fuel injection but I understand where you're coming from, no insult taken.
Over the winter I my switch them out to a pex style crimp clamp but I need to order those.

I almost melted down my 99 SVT Contour when the hot wire to the mega fuse contacted the egr pipes. While driving I lost all power to the car and she started smoking. I coasted to the gas station with the car still smoking and on fire, disconnected the battery then stole the gas stations fire extinguisher to put out the fire. Good thing I caught it and I only burned up the hood liner and a couple of vacuum lines along with the Battery wire. That was a close one!

Reactions: 1 user
I have used a fire extinguisher many times, luckily not on any fires I caused :jester: and I recommend paying attention to the rating and size of the extinguisher to make sure it is large enough and the right chemical for the type of fire you encounter, also consider the mess the chemical leaves behind, this dilemma prompts the question, what type of extinguishing agent would be recomended for say, a engine compartment fire? I suspect that would be the most common automotive fire.

Halon. Leaves a yellow/green powdery mess that you can suck up with a vacuum cleaner and wipe off. We have 4 fire extinguishers on the airplane, 3 halon, 1 water. Halon is considered adequate to extinguish any way an airplane catches on fire.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user