• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Extremely worried if i damaged engine swap 1997 mustang GT

  • Thread starter Thread starter Warleader165
  • Start date Start date Jan 1, 2022
W

Warleader165

New Member
Jan 27, 2020
16
0
1
Texas
Jan 1, 2022
#1
  • Jan 1, 2022
  • #1
I'm currently in the middle of an engine swap from my old engine which threw a rod, i've done this swap before with the old 2v to a 2009 crown vic 2v which just recently threw a rod.

I've always done maintenance on my vehicles so i know it's very very important.

I'm swapping to a 93 lincoln mark viii 32V engine, almost done with everything, just about to install into the vehicle and wanted to compression test while it was cold to ensure it was holding compression. (Engine has been sitting in a warehouse since 2006! w around 100k on it) dropped oil pan previously and everything looked great, no rust and cylinder walls looked clean.

I started compression test outside engine and cranked on starter for maybe 4 or 5 seconds before realizing i forgot to put oil in the engine (Big oops)

After putting in the oil it compression tested great, held between 160 - 180 on each cylinder.



I'm just extremely worried that maybe i damaged something by cranking on it first without oil?? I put in a capful marvel mystery oil in each cylinder prior to the compression test and prior to putting oil in so it has SOME oil lubricating the pistons.


Do you think i did any damage??
 

Olivethefet

I will own your nuts! LOL
5 Year Member
May 17, 2018
2,596
1,790
143
Enterprise AL
Jan 1, 2022
#2
  • Jan 1, 2022
  • #2
I'll defer to the actual mechanics and engin builders, but the mystery oil probably saved you.
 

weendoggy

5 Year Member
Jan 14, 2019
199
57
38
Aptos, CA
Jan 2, 2022
#3
  • Jan 2, 2022
  • #3
If this is not "in" the car, your best and piece of mind job, is to remove the pan and check some bearings. Having the engine sit for 5+ years without any rotation and/or oil pressure getting to rods/crank/valvetrain etc. could be susceptible to some wear, even if you filled the oil pan and cranked hoping the pump primed the system. Best thing to do would've been to prime the engine to ensure oil was getting where it needs to. Now, I highly doubt you did damage, but to be sure, check.
 
Reactions: RaggedGT

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Jan 2, 2022
#4
  • Jan 2, 2022
  • #4
The rotating speed of the starter and the lighter load without the cylinders firing probably saved your engine from great harm. There was some oil left on the bearings, but how much after 15 years is not a lot.
I’d check like Weendoggy suggests.
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
Jan 2, 2022
#5
  • Jan 2, 2022
  • #5
I swapped cams into my car and forgot to oil them down before I sealed it all up. I drove the car for over 100k with no issues. If you've run it already it's too late to oil the cylinders but my bet is you did no harm.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
436
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
460
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
1
Engine Motor swap from a 2003 Explorer
  • 1996mustang new
  • Oct 9, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
739
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 16, 2025
squeak93
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
524
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
438
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?