Factory rocker arms

jason865

Feb 14, 2016
Looking at installing a trickflow stage 1 camshaft. Camshaft was a Christmas gift from my wife lol. My question is can I use factory stamp steel rockers arms? I'm not looking for max power. I drive the car daily in the summer. It's not really in the budget for roller rockers. Will I have an issues? More about the car... 1990 fox body. Stock e7 heads, bbk headers, professional products intake, throttle body and spacer, full exhaust, 373 gears, 5 speed, electric fans etc. Car was dyno tuned last summer without cam and made 260hp and 306tq to the wheels. I'm not worried about max power I really just need to know if the factory steel rockers will work. Max lift on the cam is 512 I believe. And I have the trickflow springs to go with it. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

cheap insurance but that is me. I would recommend throwing on an 93 to 96 explorer intake and the 65MM TB while you are at it. quick and easy 15-20 hp. flows much better than the stock mustang ones. If you want to do another cheap mod get a 94 to 95 gt 70 MM Mass Air as it bolts right in and will give better throttle response

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Also the stock roller rockers are pretty crappy. I'd recommend upgrading them. Even a cheaper set is better than stamped steel any day.
The stock rocker arms are durable. Roller ones will free up some power and with the choice of ratios, will let you adjust lift at the valve. But cheap roller rockers will not likely last as long as stock (non roller) ones.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The stock boltdown rockers worked great on my last flat tappet cam, went to 6200 every time. Rhodes VVT flat tappet cam, iron Gt40 heads, stock pushrods.

I liked them, no adjusting.

You can get heads and intake from a 97-01 Explorer in a junkyard fairly cheap and they would make the cam install worth the effort. That’s the least expensive way but you’re still gonna have money in rework for the used heads, gaskets and such. You’re current headers may or may not work if you get P heads. The P’s would be on 97 1/2- 01 model years. 96 and early 97 will have non P heads.

The cam is a cool gift and if you can’t afford it all now its really best to gradually collect the other stuff before installing it.

Last edited:
Yes I'm sorry, for some reason I thought they had a roller on the end. But once again a great reason to upgrade from stock.

Lunati makes these roller tip... I am going to try out a set on my P heads......
DSCF0833.JPG

Attachments

• Roller tip lunati Fulcrum rockers...jpg
    Roller tip lunati Fulcrum rockers...jpg
    5 KB · Views: 60