Fan Clutch Need Help!

2point3fiend

Mar 11, 2003
Tampa, FL
I bought myself a police fan clutch for my 93 5.0 LX today. Hopefully it will help cool my engine more. Problem I'm having is, when I undo and remove the 4, 7/16'' bolts where the fan clutch connects to the water pump pulley, the fan clutch doesn't want to come off! I'm not sure what to do or how it's still even attached. I lossened up the shroud to get my hands on it, but no matter which way I tried wiggling it, it would not give at all. According to the couple of web sites and the Hayes manual I have, they say it's just supposed to give way and be able to be lifted out of the car with the fan shroud. My fan is in excellent shape, though it and the fan clutch look original along with the water pump. Any input would be a great help guys. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

There might be a hub or simple corrosion holding the two together (I cant remember - I though there was a small hub though). Just keep trying or squirt a little PB down in there maybe....

Good luck.

Are you sure you took off the right nuts? There are 4 holding the clutch to the fan itself, and 4 holding the fan to the waterpump pulley.. I know it sounds like a simple thing, but just make sure you're unbolting the actual nuts on the pulley.

Try using a flathead screwdriver or a prybar to separate it.. just take care not to damage the blades of the fan or the radiator.

:bang: Yes I am absolutely sure the 7/16'' bolts I removed were from the fan clutch to the water pump pully as the bolts holding the fan clutch to the fan are larger, and nearly impossible to get to with the fan in the car. I also sprayed some WD40 onto where the fan clutch meets the water pump pully, allowing it to sit for a bit and then trying to pull again. I'm reluctant to hit it with anything to to try and pry it apart witha flat-head screwdriver, but at this point I'll try anything to get the fan clutch off the pulley. I did try the flat head screw driver idea, however I couldn't seem to get it wedged in between where the fan clutch and pulley meet. I'll have more time to work on it later today. And other ideas? :(

Your memory serves you correct hissin, there is a hub that is sits on and i believe it is stuck from corrosion. You need a hammer and punch or chisel. Use some grit Man!

Wait i just noticed ur name is 2.3fiend. Is it the 2.3? For if it is I might be talking out me a$$.

darthcual said:
Wait i just noticed ur name is 2.3fiend. Is it the 2.3? For if it is I might be talking out me a$$.
And you were right the first time. He has a 5.0 (and 2.3's come with elec fans IIRC). :nice: That was an astute pick-up on the username though. :)

I would even try a rubber mallet first - the shocking action from the blow can break corrosion free.

Mechanics gloves are great for keeping hands from getting as torn up as they normally would.

Good luck.

Well, you won't be hammering anywhere near the radiator anyway. Get something long to stick down there, a prybar, the jacking bar from a hydraulic car lift, and push that where it's stuck and hammer the end, that way you won't be swinging a hammer near the rad or the dizzy.

sgarlic said:
Well, you won't be hammering anywhere near the radiator anyway. Get something long to stick down there, a prybar, the jacking bar from a hydraulic car lift, and push that where it's stuck and hammer the end, that way you won't be swinging a hammer near the rad or the dizzy.

the fan fell out of his hands and when it fell the corner of a blade punchered the radiator , so just be careful , it will come off though ........