Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gasket vs. Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Set

JasinC19

What hole is this!?!
Jun 7, 2011
I am reassembling my 306.

I have the 1-piece oil pan gasket. I also have the Fel-Pro timing cover gasket set.

The instructions for the timing cover gasket set say to cut the oil pan gasket.

If I am reassembling the parts from scratch, isn't there a way to NOT cut the oil pan gasket? I kinda like it...

• Sponsors (?)

you only cut the oil pan gasket if the motor was already assembled and you were pulling the timing cover.

Install the timing cover gasket and timing cover, then install the oil pan gasket and oil pan.

Did you check the oil pan pick-up to pan clearance?

I'm a little confused, I don't know why you'd cut the oil pan gasket. The timing cover goes on way before the pan gasket. I would say DON'T cut the pan gasket. Which kit is this? My Fel Pro stuff said nothing about cutting anything.

Edit: Looks like Rick is on it.

As noted, put the timing cover on first, and the pan gasket covers the pan rail and the bottom of the cover.

Later, if you have to pull the timing cover, you cut the section of the pan gasket under the cover and install the timing cover short sections, with some silicone at the joints.

If only a Chevy was this easy.

Yeah... that makes more sense now that I think about it. Although I think this gasket is supposed to be reusable. So maybe I won't ever have to cut it. :)

Yea, those one piece silicone-rubber pan gaskets are reusable, so I don't think you'd ever want to cut it.

Supposed to be re-usable..lol I find if you have to pull the timing cover down the road you usually ruin the pan gasket, and you have to cut it and the metal core it has. NOW I will say I put a nice full bead of silicone on the front and rear rails of the pan even with the 1pc gasket to ensure I never have a leak and I find most aftermarket oil pans to not be perfect in those areas.

Supposed to be re-usable..lol I find if you have to pull the timing cover down the road you usually ruin the pan gasket, and you have to cut it and the metal core it has. NOW I will say I put a nice full bead of silicone on the front and rear rails of the pan even with the 1pc gasket to ensure I never have a leak and I find most aftermarket oil pans to not be perfect in those areas.

Can you avoid cutting it by dropping the pan first?

It may help but then you have to deal with resealing the pan.
Since I use and recommend a beat across the front and rear rails it is nearly impossible to get the old sealant off the rubber gasket good enough to take the chance for me. I actually use a nice 4 pc composite Mr.Gasket set alot lately...no leaks on aftermarket pans.