Engine Timing cover installation

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
I pulled the water pump and timing cover to fix a coolant and oil leak. I put in a one piece pan gasket a couple years ago and when I pulled the timing cover, the lower piece of the pan gasket came out with it. I knew it would when I pulled the cover. My question is does anybody have any tips when I reinstall the cover to make sure it seals? Should I try to reuse the piece of the pan gasket that came out or use the piece that came with the gasket kit? Anybody ever tried this with the one piece pan gasket? This motor is probably coming out next year for a refresh so just trying to get it sealed up for this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.JPG
    IMG_2400.JPG
    778.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Use a decent helping of RTV where the old gasket meets the new gasket- you'll have a crack there so you want to make sure it seals. You may want to let it dry a bit before installing cover so it doesn't slide around quite so bad with the "patch" gasket. It's kind of a pain to get it lined up right. I'm more familiar with the 3 piece gaskets that go where the blue gasket is on yours, those are a pain in the rear to line up with the bolt holes without sliding.

Reactions: 1 user
Use a decent helping of RTV where the old gasket meets the new gasket- you'll have a crack there so you want to make sure it seals. You may want to let it dry a bit before installing cover so it doesn't slide around quite so bad with the "patch" gasket. It's kind of a pain to get it lined up right. I'm more familiar with the 3 piece gaskets that go where the blue gasket is on yours, those are a pain in the rear to line up with the bolt holes without sliding.
The FelPro gasket set came with the three piece gasket. Obviously I don't need the two cork pieces for the sides. I'm thinking the same as you mentioned, just use a good dab of RTV where they meet and hope for the best.

I used a stud kit on my pan when I assembled my engine.... no sliding around...
You could make a couple of studs to center and hold the pan while you install all of the other bolt pans, then remove the studs and replace with bolts?

I also find that the factory torque specs are always a bit too much on pan gaskets...
Stop when you see the gasket " just start" to pooch some....

Reactions: 1 user
the timing cover gasket set should have come with a piece to replace the front portion of the oil pan gasket.

You could use one of those, or just do the rtv thing.

Strongly suggest lots of anti seize on the timing cover and water pump bolts!

the timing cover gasket set should have come with a piece to replace the front portion of the oil pan gasket.

You could use one of those, or just do the rtv thing.

Strongly suggest lots of anti seize on the timing cover and water pump bolts!
It did. That's the black piece in the second picture. The blue piece is what came out with the timing cover from the one piece pan gasket. Amazingly, they were damn near identical. I used the new black piece, plenty of Ultra Black RTV at the joint and in the corners and gently tapped it in with a dead blow hammer. Went better than I thought it would, so should be good to go :nice:

Reactions: 1 users