Finally, 1st Ride in Car after installing the O/R H-Pipe

COBESGT

Oct 19, 2004
Dubuque, Iowa
Well, the weather has finally cleared up enough and we've had 3 good days of rain to wash all of the salt off of the road, so I got the car out for my maiden voyage after installing the Pypes O/R H-Pipe. I have to say that power-wise the car feels great and contrary to what other says, I don't think its' to loud.

However, I am a little disappointed. At about 3000 - 4500 rpms it sounds like there is a baffle loose in my muffler or the exhaust is hitting the frame. I came home and did a quick check and found one of my axle back clamps was hitting the spare tire portion of the frame. So I moved the clamps for both sides (just to be safe) did a quick shake test on each muffler, and took it out for another ride. Sadly I got the same results. :(

Has anyone else had this same experience? Is something wrong with one of my mufflers (Flowmaster Axle Back Kit)? Or is this going to be what it sounds like (my old Mustangs never sounded like this with flows and an O/R H-pipe). Also, I welded-up the h-pipe instead of using the clamps. Could a piece of slag possibly burned through made it back to the muffler and now it's rattling inside? I haven't had a chance yet to thoroughly inspect the exhaust for other rub points. So is there anything else you guys can think of?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

You probably have one of the defective sets of Flowmasters. The baffles coming loose was a major issue with them. You probably didn't notice it before, because there wasn't as much airflow.

More information

Well I just got off of the phone with a Rep at the place where I purchased my Flowmasters (March 18, 2008, so less than 1 year old, never saw salt, maybe 5000 miles). I was told this most likely is not a bad baffle. Contrary to what DarkFireGT said, he tells me I would of been able to hear this with the stock H-Pipe. This sound (which I can now say is most prevalent from around 2000 - 2700 rpms) comes from the variable cam timing and is called "Trumpeting". The way to check for a bad baffle is to pound on the muffler and if a baffle was bad you would hear it rattling. He agreed that the Flowmasters had a problem in their earlier production mufflers but that was about 2 years ago, and he thought that mine were probably OK.

His suggestion to fix the "Trumpeting" is to install a set of High-Flow Cats.

I have to say that if this is normal, I am very disapointed and would of never of gotten rid of what the car originally came with from the previous owner, good ol Flowmasters, welded-in. Granted these had the "Drone" but they sounded the best! Damn, this sucks, I hate it and I know the wife is really going to hate it!!!!

I didn't think Flows and O/R H's trumpted? Hrm... I just don't remember anyone complaining of trumpeting from that setup.

I can definitely tell you Magnaflows (street) sound great with the off road H. It's a quieter combination, but no drone or trumpeting and still lets people know you're there.

I had the same issue with mine; and it is not exclusive to FlowMasters. I bet you are running the stock headers.

If you swap out the headers, I guarantee that the trumpeting noise will go away. The trumpeting was so bad when I first put on my h-pipe, that it actually made the car vibrate. It would feel like my phone was going off in my pocket, and when I took it out; nothing.

The headers not only eliminated the trumpeting, but it also smoothed out the vibration. They made the car sound and drive better.

Since I still thought/hoped there might be a problem with the exhaust hitting somewhere, I jacked the car up this morning and did a thorough inspection. I did find one of the mufflers was really close to the hanger bolt so I loosened, re-oriented, and tightened everything back up. I even did the pound test on both mufflers to see if it was a bad baffle, but no such luck. Took the car for another ride, and got the same crappy sound. Then, the wife took the car to run some errands and she too thought the car sounded like crap! "What the hell did you do to this thing?"

Anyway, it looks like I'm either going to try some resonators or different mufflers (Headers just aren't in my budget right now). If I go with resonators, are they going to restrict my flow like a High-Flow Cat? If I go with mufflers, does anyone have any good used Magna Flows (street) that DarkFireGT mentioned. Man I really don't want to spend any more money on this exhaust just to get the same old results.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on what's the least expensive way to make this problem go away?

Since I still thought/hoped there might be a problem with the exhaust hitting somewhere, I jacked the car up this morning and did a thorough inspection. I did find one of the mufflers was really close to the hanger bolt so I loosened, re-oriented, and tightened everything back up. I even did the pound test on both mufflers to see if it was a bad baffle, but no such luck. Took the car for another ride, and got the same crappy sound. Then, the wife took the car to run some errands and she too thought the car sounded like crap! "What the hell did you do to this thing?"

Anyway, it looks like I'm either going to try some resonators or different mufflers (Headers just aren't in my budget right now). If I go with resonators, are they going to restrict my flow like a High-Flow Cat? If I go with mufflers, does anyone have any good used Magna Flows (street) that DarkFireGT mentioned. Man I really don't want to spend any more money on this exhaust just to get the same old results.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on what's the least expensive way to make this problem go away?

Hey hows it going, Im new here but Im over at modular fords, corral and moddedmustangs and was reading your post. I've heard the stock mufflers flow good and sound good with an OR/H. Might try that.

COBESGT,
I've had the same sound issue with both the Flows and MACs. For me, it happens mostly right at gear changes at the mid throttle pressures(light pressure and WOT it doesn't do it at all).

I don't believe the sound you are hearing is a broken baffle. I had that in my first set of Flows and it was only noticeable below 2000 RPM. OMG was that ever annoying AND embarrassing::nonono: That is when I put the stock mufflers back on and I can agree that combo sounds pretty good:nice:

Flowmaster broken baffle
View attachment 266252
Pypes O/R H and stock muffler combo
View attachment 266253
View attachment 266254

Stupid Trumpet, If I wanted to play the Trumpet I would of joined the band!

If anyone cares, I searched through a bunch of sound clips and found that my car sounds almost identical to the link below, and this is stock manifolds, O/R X-PIPE and Flowmaster American Thunder Axle backs.

YouTube - 06 Mustang

I'm thinking that I'm going to go with some resontators, but was wondering what type others who have them are using. There are a couple of different types:

Open chamber resonator, straight thru/High Flow Design
-OR-
Packed chamber resonator, straight thru/High Flow Design

My goal is #1 get rid of the tinny-raspy (trumpeting) and possibly quiet it down a little. Which type is the right type to purchase? Anyone who has experience with this, your help is greatly appreciated.

I picked up a set of LTs with an O/R X a few days ago and will be running that combo for a few days to see what it sounds like and possibly have a custom H pipe made if it sounds bad. I haven't setup an install day, but hope to in the next day or so. If the catless setup doesn't work out for me, I'll try the resonator route.

Well I just got off of the phone with a Rep at the place where I purchased my Flowmasters (March 18, 2008, so less than 1 year old, never saw salt, maybe 5000 miles). I was told this most likely is not a bad baffle. Contrary to what DarkFireGT said, he tells me I would of been able to hear this with the stock H-Pipe. This sound (which I can now say is most prevalent from around 2000 - 2700 rpms) comes from the variable cam timing and is called "Trumpeting". The way to check for a bad baffle is to pound on the muffler and if a baffle was bad you would hear it rattling. He agreed that the Flowmasters had a problem in their earlier production mufflers but that was about 2 years ago, and he thought that mine were probably OK.

His suggestion to fix the "Trumpeting" is to install a set of High-Flow Cats.

I have to say that if this is normal, I am very disapointed and would of never of gotten rid of what the car originally came with from the previous owner, good ol Flowmasters, welded-in. Granted these had the "Drone" but they sounded the best! Damn, this sucks, I hate it and I know the wife is really going to hate it!!!!

This trumpeting subject has been covered quite a bit over the last couple years. I had the same problem with my 05. I eventually took the pypes O/R pipes off and went back to the stock H-pipe. It got really old after a while. I kept trying to convince myself I liked the sound, but that raspy sound @ around 2500-3000 rpms was just annoying. I've read in earlier posts that adding on a couple of resonators solves the problem.
Good luck

This trumpeting subject has been covered quite a bit over the last couple years. I had the same problem with my 05. I eventually took the pypes O/R pipes off and went back to the stock H-pipe. It got really old after a while. I kept trying to convince myself I liked the sound, but that raspy sound @ around 2500-3000 rpms was just annoying. I've read in earlier posts that adding on a couple of resonators solves the problem.
Good luck

I hear that adding headers gets rid of the trumpeting. It makes it louder but it's supposed to be more bearable compared to the stock manifolds that trumpet.

Pypes M80's on the way

I went ahead and ordered two Pypes M80's from Jegs today. I'm taking a couple of days of vacation (Thurs/Fri) since the kids are off from school and I wanted to fix a few things on my other car (91 SHO). Hopefully, I'll find some time to get them welded-in. Anyway, as soon as I get the job done, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out. I'm hoping for the best! Well actually, I'm hoping to get rid of that damn trumpeting!:mad: